Current Dental students at Michigan!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mustt Mustt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Michigan and looks like I will be staying at Michigan. Here are some of the questions I have.

1. Do we have to buy the Laptop through school or do they even require one. I have good laptop from my undergrad and don't want to buy another one. Michigan use regular text books right(not that DVD thing that some schools use).

2. How do you guys like the new IMS thing. Do you just have one exam at the end of the semester or do you have exams for each module in the IMS at the end. Just to get and Idea of what this IMS thing is all about.

3. How much time do you guys spend in the class during the semster. What is your schedule like. How early classes start in the morning. How much time do you guys get outside of class. I have no desire what so ever to specialize so I am not looking at A's.

4. How do you like the student body and how mcuh diverse is your class(I expect it to be diverse because it is Michigan) but just want to get an Idea.

5. How much break do you guys get at the end of the first year(I am looking to go overseas during this time) during summer.

6. How do you like Michigan so far.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Mustt Mustt said:
I have been accepted to Michigan and looks like I will be staying at Michigan. Here are some of the questions I have.

1. Do we have to buy the Laptop through school or do they even require one. I have good laptop from my undergrad and don't want to buy another one. Michigan use regular text books right(not that DVD thing that some schools use).

2. How do you guys like the new IMS thing. Do you just have one exam at the end of the semester or do you have exams for each module in the IMS at the end. Just to get and Idea of what this IMS thing is all about.

3. How much time do you guys spend in the class during the semster. What is your schedule like. How early classes start in the morning. How much time do you guys get outside of class. I have no desire what so ever to specialize so I am not looking at A's.

4. How do you like the student body and how mcuh diverse is your class(I expect it to be diverse because it is Michigan) but just want to get an Idea.

5. How much break do you guys get at the end of the first year(I am looking to go overseas during this time) during summer.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Mustt

1. No. regular texts
2. IMS sucks. there is module exams
3. class 8-5, not much time outside if you want to pass
4. diverse class
5. june and half of august off
6. it has its days ;)

hi,
could you kindly please tell me what they asked you in your interview at U of michigan? i would greatly appreciate all your help - if possible could you send this message as "private mail".
thanking you
kind regards.. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ktcook83 said:
Mustt

1. No. regular texts
2. IMS sucks. there is module exams
3. class 8-5, not much time outside if you want to pass
4. diverse class
5. june and half of august off
6. it has its days ;)

Thanks for the reply. So you saying it doesn't require much time outside of class if looking at just passing(ofcourse it would also depend on me), but generally speaking. What it is that you don't like about IMS. Can you be little more specific. So you are in class everyday from 8-5. wow that's some long hours in school.

CALALILY said:
hi,
could you kindly please tell me what they asked you in your interview at U of michigan? i would greatly appreciate all your help - if possible could you send this message as "private mail".
thanking you
kind regards.. :)

Check your PM

You don't have to buy any specific computer, whatever you have is fine. We use regular books.

I disliked IMS-I, but we were the first class they had it for so possibly they will reorganize it a bit better for you guys after having our input. Basically IMS takes all the basic science classes and rolls them up into one 9-credit mega-class. We have three exams total, one for each module. That's around 1200 slides worth of info per test, just to give you an idea. A LOT of info. you must pass each exam with a 70% or better to pass the class. if you do not pass an exam, you get one chance to retake it. other than exams, there are also weekly quizzes (These are not really a walk in the park either) and three case studies which you do in groups of ~9 students. the case studies aren't too bad, and generally can only help your grade. Some people like the IMS method because we have only 3 exams a semester for all the science classes, as opposed to 4 per week as i have heard about the conventional separate classes. Basically I think that the main gripes people have about IMS is that it is not as well organized as it could be, that it is way too much information to learn all at once and that the test questions do not always reflect the key concepts/learning objectives. People feel like they are not able to retain the information as well as they could if it were presented in individual classes. And although there are only three exams, those three exams are monsters and constitute a large part of your grade in a 9 credit class, so, lots of pressure riding on those exams. To be fair though, i have to mention that the professors and other course organizers are openminded to argument and have been known to throw out questions or accept multiple answers if we feel that the questions were unfair. Also, all of our exams so far have been curved to make sure the average is acceptable.

In class... officially it is 8-5, but first semester we had plenty of days where we would have long lunches, not have to come in until 9 and/or get out an hour or two early. One nice thing i forgot to mention about IMS was that they have scheduled "study time" (read - sleep in time!) a few times a week. Outside of class... it depends on how much of a "natural" you are. For a class like IMS, most people need to study if they even want to pass, heck i study a ton and I still barely passed. On the other hand for our drilling practicals I basically never practice and still get A's. it just depends on you. overall most people i know study quite a bit even if they just wan't B's, but they still have time for their families, hobbies, the gym, IM sports, parties, whatever as long as they manage their time well.

I like the students quite a bit, most seem very cool and helpful. Very diverse, students from all over the country and of all backgrounds. M/F ratio approximately 50/50, possibly even more F.

2 months, I believe July and August.

It has its ups and downs, and any dental school is going to be mega stressful especially the first semester, but overall I like it and am glad I came here :)

if you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

I'm also planning on attending MI in the fall. Can you give me any ideas of where to start looking for housing? I know Ypsilani is a lot cheaper, but is it worth living farther away?? I'm thinking of going the one bedroom apt route, however, I have a golden retreiver, so does anyone know of any places that would accept a Golden Retriever?

Thanks!

mitechgrl said:
I'm also planning on attending MI in the fall. Can you give me any ideas of where to start looking for housing? I know Ypsilani is a lot cheaper, but is it worth living farther away?? I'm thinking of going the one bedroom apt route, however, I have a golden retreiver, so does anyone know of any places that would accept a Golden Retriever?

Thanks!

Hi I am pretty familiar with the AA. Ypsilanti is cheap but the commute is not worth it if you planning on living ina one bedroom apt. You would save like 150 bucks a month doing that but you would spend that much on gas, parking etc. If you are single I would live on a centra campus near school where you can walk to dental school. Rent around in central campus is about 450/month and up but it is in the nice area and close to 100's of resturants and bars. I have no idea what a golden retriever is.

A golden retriever is a big, pretty, dog... full size about 75 pounds. Their color is usually golden, hence the name golden retriever. So finding apts that allow 75 lb dogs can be a little bit difficult.

Are the textbooks necessary to buy in your opinion? I know for undergrad I often bought the books and would look at them once, maybe twice the whole semester. How often have you guys actually used them? Aren't the notes/slides usually enough to do well?

I'll most likely go to U of M this fall, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a website, name of the aprtments along central campus, or a phone number of the apartments. I am all the way in west coast and i dnt know whereto start looking..

I am looking for a one bedroom apartment, big enough to fit two people

The apartments along central campus: are they just for students? or for married students as well?.. i want to live somewhere close by, walking distance to the school.
Thanks

ems5184 said:
Are the textbooks necessary to buy in your opinion? I know for undergrad I often bought the books and would look at them once, maybe twice the whole semester. How often have you guys actually used them? Aren't the notes/slides usually enough to do well?

The textbook list is way longer and more confusing than in undergrad, there are like 20 required/recommended books... I would start off by just buying the coursepacks/workbooks, because you will use those for sure, then decide which of the other books you need or want as you go along. The only textbook I think I really used first semester was the developmental bio. honestly you spend so much time in lecture and in reviewing the notes that in my opinion there simply isn't time to also read the books if you want to stay sane and have any kind of life.

darkwing said:
I'll most likely go to U of M this fall, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a website, name of the aprtments along central campus, or a phone number of the apartments. I am all the way in west coast and i dnt know whereto start looking..

I am looking for a one bedroom apartment, big enough to fit two people

The apartments along central campus: are they just for students? or for married students as well?.. i want to live somewhere close by, walking distance to the school.
Thanks

http://www.arborweb.com/cg/t0031.html The dental school is on North University (in section E4 on the map.) they are just normal apartments, you can be single, married, roommates, student, not a student, whatever as long as you pay your rent.