Current Dental Students- Scholarships in 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehipster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the current Dental Students, I was hoping to start a list of of schools where you were offered a scholarship, amount of the scholarship, if it was a one-time scholarship or for all 4 years and if there was GPA requirement to keep up, and if what you're stats were. I'm hoping to just have a list of this and not really any questions. Thanks

Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
DAT (AA/TS/PAT):
School/ Amount of Scholarship/ Renewable or not/ GPA requirement

Members don't see this ad.

anybody offered a scholarship?

thehipster said:

good luck finding a scholarship for graduate school.

that is unless you are extremely poor, and even then don't expect to just be given one, you will have to do research or write some long paper begging for a few hundred bucks.

its not worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
WVUdental said:
good luck finding a scholarship for graduate school.

that is unless you are extremely poor, and even then don't expect to just be given one, you will have to do research or write some long paper begging for a few hundred bucks.

its not worth it.

Well, I do remember people saying they've received around $4000 a year at tufts, UPenn gives half tuition to its top 25 students, NYU sometimes gives ~$25,000 a year, and being a minority wasn't a criteria. I was mainly interested to hear about these and what people's stats were.

thehipster said:
Well, I do remember people saying they've received around $4000 a year at tufts, UPenn gives half tuition to its top 25 students, NYU sometimes gives ~$250000 a year, and being a minority wasn't a criteria. I was mainly interested to hear about these and what people's stats were.

Criteria:
Parents are dental alumni
Student has 3.8 or higher (given that most must have a 3.4 anyway!)
DAT score above 21

get my drift?

thehipster, do you mean $25000 a year?

Chakshu said:
thehipster, do you mean $25000 a year?

Yea, my bad, although I'm sure that would convince some people to go there

thehipster said:

I was very lucky to receive a full scholarship to un.of nebraska that is renewable for 4 years as long as you don't fail out! it was definitely a blessing to receive this because i had looked at other schools and it didn't seem like there was much out there, i was blown away when i found it. even though its in nebraska, it is an excellent school for dentistry.

DrTacoElf said:
So far i've gotten one scholarship for $2000 and one scholarship for $3000 and $1200 for research. Not a ton but surely doesn't hurt.

Where and what were your stats?

I recieved $15,000 from Iowa that was for all four years and $10, 000 from UConn (I am pretty sure that it was for the first year only). I decided on Harvard where I got $9,000.

The one form Harvard is need based. The other two were Merit.
as for GPA and stuff:
Overall GPA:3.98
Science GPA:4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT):22/22/22
School/ Amount of Scholarship/ Renewable or not/ GPA requirement: above

Hope that helps, i remember being curious about that kind of stuff when I started

thehipster said:
For all the current Dental Students, I was hoping to start a list of of schools where you were offered a scholarship, amount of the scholarship, if it was a one-time scholarship or for all 4 years and if there was GPA requirement to keep up, and if what you're stats were. I'm hoping to just have a list of this and not really any questions. Thanks

Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
DAT (AA/TS/PAT):
School/ Amount of Scholarship/ Renewable or not/ GPA requirement

Anyone else. I was really curious about anyone who got one of the 25 scholarships from UPenn

One of my classmates/friends was just given a $5000 scholarship based on his D1 year grades. He didn't even apply for it or anything :) I think last year he was also just given like $3000 based on need and undergraduate grades. Shows that scholarships for grad students are definitly out there, and not just for the "extremely poor" and you don't always have to go begging for them...

I receieved a scholarship of $2500 from Michigan. I didn't have to apply or anything. I have no idea what it is based on but they informed me about this scholarship and I never inquired what the criteria was. I am sure scholarships are out there but they are usually in the lower $ amts. than your total cost of attendance. In my undergrad I had a full scholarship but I ahve yet to see one in D school that offers full tuition paid without any commitment.

I was offered $30k spread across all three years when I was accepted.

Overall GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 23/23/19

Some of my classmates were offered $45k and $60k because they had higher stats than I did. Every year, the #1 ranked student also receives $500. There are also a few merit/service based scholarships offered ranging from $500-5000 available.