Current Dental Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Sunny_1225

Dear current dental students,

Does your curriculum cover basic and molecular genetics?

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm wondering if I should take it before I enter dental school.

I understand that some schools teach it and others don't.

Any advice and comments would be appreciated.

-Sunny

Members don't see this ad.

I considered taking it during my undergrad, but then decided against it to take more important courses like biochem, physiology, anatomy, etc. I would definitely take those first before genetics. We did take a course in genetics last semester and I did just fine w/o having taken the class during undergrad. Good luck!

Yes.

Don't bother taking it, genetics are easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sunny_1225 said:
Dear current dental students,

Does your curriculum cover basic and molecular genetics?

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm wondering if I should take it before I enter dental school.

I understand that some schools teach it and others don't.

Any advice and comments would be appreciated.

-Sunny

Perhaps if you told us where you were going to school (or would like to go), folks from those schools can fill you in.

Hi,

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses.

I am planning to go to either USC or NYU.

If anyone knows about these particular schools, please let me know.

Thanks a million.

wimmcs said:
I considered taking it during my undergrad, but then decided against it to take more important courses like biochem, physiology, anatomy, etc. I would definitely take those first before genetics. We did take a course in genetics last semester and I did just fine w/o having taken the class during undergrad. Good luck!

Wimmcs,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me how in depth the biochem course goes?

Also, in dental school do you learn anatomy of the whole body or is it just head and neck anatomy?

-Thanks

Sunny_1225 said:
Wimmcs,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me how in depth the biochem course goes?

Also, in dental school do you learn anatomy of the whole body or is it just head and neck anatomy?

-Thanks

Hi Sunny,
Not sure which biochem you are referring, if the one in undergrad or in d-school. They were both similar, but since our d-school works on a "modular" basis and our class was short and intense, I have to admit having seen it before in undergrad helped me understand it better. My biochem course in undergrad went pretty in depth, which was o.k. by me.
In terms of anatomy... remember I'm only referring to my school, not sure what other schools do. At the beginning of our 1st semester we took a course in musculoskeletal and we had a week of gross anatomy of upper limbs. Then when we returned to our second semester, we had a very intense course in head and neck anatomy where we got to dissect a head from the beginning until we finished seeing every muscle, vessel, nerve, bone, etc. This was a great course, but very tough!! So to answer your question, rarely have I seen any lower limb anatomy, mainly we learned the upper body. Good luck!

wimmcs said:
Hi Sunny,
Not sure which biochem you are referring, if the one in undergrad or in d-school. They were both similar, but since our d-school works on a "modular" basis and our class was short and intense, I have to admit having seen it before in undergrad helped me understand it better. My biochem course in undergrad went pretty in depth, which was o.k. by me.
In terms of anatomy... remember I'm only referring to my school, not sure what other schools do. At the beginning of our 1st semester we took a course in musculoskeletal and we had a week of gross anatomy of upper limbs. Then when we returned to our second semester, we had a very intense course in head and neck anatomy where we got to dissect a head from the beginning until we finished seeing every muscle, vessel, nerve, bone, etc. This was a great course, but very tough!! So to answer your question, rarely have I seen any lower limb anatomy, mainly we learned the upper body. Good luck!

Thanks for the amazing reply!