Sep 21, 2009
Where ever you want it to be
Status
Medical Student
Here is the problem

Three types of electromagnetic radiation, P, Q and R, were allowed to enter the Geiger counter. Assuming that the current flow is due only to electron motion and that the ionizing power of radiation is directly proportional to its energy, what is the sequence of P, Q and R in order of increasing wavelength (λ)?
Current obtained from P = 1.50 A
Current obtained from Q = 0.75 A
Current obtained from R = 1.00 A

A-amperes and amperes is C/s but what how does it relate to energy. I know E=hf and v=wavelength(f)

The bigger the energy, the higher the frequency but the shorter the wavelength. But what is the relationship with amperes, I don't understand how I am suppose to figure out the answer.

Apr 1, 2012
Mobile, AL
Status
Medical Student
Here is the problem

Three types of electromagnetic radiation, P, Q and R, were allowed to enter the Geiger counter. Assuming that the current flow is due only to electron motion and that the ionizing power of radiation is directly proportional to its energy, what is the sequence of P, Q and R in order of increasing wavelength (λ)?
Current obtained from P = 1.50 A
Current obtained from Q = 0.75 A
Current obtained from R = 1.00 A

A-amperes and amperes is C/s but what how does it relate to energy. I know E=hf and v=wavelength(f)

The bigger the energy, the higher the frequency but the shorter the wavelength. But what is the relationship with amperes, I don't understand how I am suppose to figure out the answer.

It says in the question that you assume that current flow is due only to the power of ionizing radiation. How are Ions formed? Loss or gain of electrons, and in the case of current generation, a loss of electrons. So the letter which has the highest current causes electrons to be lost the most easily because it has the highest ionizing energy. The question also says to assume that the ionizing power of radiation is directly proportional to its energy.
P=I^(2)R. The resistor is the resistor of the counter so it's constant. So the one with more current has more power. And power is joules per second. The power increases as time between counts decreases and joules with each count increase. So the more powerful, the more energy per second. E=hc/L, so higher energy yields smaller wavelength and vice versa. Higher energy yields higher frequency. E=hf