current/former NSUCOM students, please vote!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opinions on experience (admin, educ, etc)that you had/are having at NSUCOM?

• Great; little to no complaints on most issues

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Good; a few problems here & there, but hasnt deterred from overall experience

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Fair; decent, but some tangible issues (admin, education quality, etc)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Poor; many issues (admin, educ, etc) contributing to experience

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
I have always believed that you get out of your education exactly what you put into it. I don't expect administration to hold my hand or to do anything for me. When I have questions that I need answered, I go to the right people, and I politely ask the questions that I need to ask--and I have always found that I got the answers that I needed.

I did run into one situation where a policy was not condusive with my situation, but I just worked around it. There are always ways around things, and after a little bit of time here, everyone figures those sorts of things out.

I have never been the kind of person who expects a lot of hand holding...and I don't actually like it. I specifically chose the larger school because I like the being able to be anonymous if I want to be--yet if I want to stand out that is well within my abilities also.

I feel that the only people who are going to feel that administration really "Holds them back" are those who really feel as if they need a lot of guidance and aren't willing to seek out information on their own.

I will admit, that no school is perfect--and our school is no exception. I don't understand why there are "no exceptions" to certain policies, etc. However, I don't think that any school is perfect.

When stepping back and looking at the larger picture, I feel as if I am getting a great education. I feel as if these issues are miniscule, petty, and in no way get in the way of my education as a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

can you tell me as a current student about how many hours a day you spend on campus or inclass for the first two years at NSU?

NO, two of the three months have to be in the state of Florida at a location that you will be assigned at by the school (I believe). The third month is your choice. One of my good friends is going to be going internationally for his third rotation.

Thanks! International sounds cool!! Who pays to get you there?

Yes I am a M2, and yes you are correct in that it was the hospital that requested the change.

Is it known why?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have always believed that you get out of your education exactly what you put into it.
[/B]

I feel the same as you do, you get what you put into it. I think we are getting an exceptional education here, and have no regrets about my decision. Sure there are things that can change and lookng back on old posts I have made, I realize I have probably over indulged. The fact of the matter is there are some major issues with admin, and I don't think any one here would denie that.

As far as you being anonymous, that is hard to believe...:laugh:

As far as "selective" rural is concerned, it is a blessing in disguise. If you know how to lobby and manipulate the system right, you can get an excellent international rotation. I spent a month in Shanghai, China learning acupuncture, singing Karaoke, drinking Tea, and eating dumplings. mmm mmm dumplings. It was an amazing experience, and I don't regret it at all. My other rural months were basically the only real family practice i had in med school. 2 months seemed a bit long, however, i used it as an opportunity to hone my skills before internship. You'll find that at most of the rural sites, the docs give you a lot of autonomy.