Current ICO students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalala27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am starting optometry school at ICO in the fall and was wondering where current ICO students lived/live during their first year? Did you live in the RC? Would you recommend it? If you did not live in the RC, in what area do you live and how much is rent?? Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I love the ICO RC. I stayed there all 4 years. Fast WIFI, pretty modern facilities, piano, lots of open study areas, meal plan, adjacent to the school. I thought the rooms were huge. My only gripe is the lack of ceiling lights makes it dark unless you bring your own lamps.

You usually have 3 exams a week that start at 8:00am and so forth, and it really hits the spot to be able to immediately eat lunch/dinner 100 ft across from the lecture hall when class is over, or go back for a nice nap.

I met a lot of cool friends and got to know upperclassmen/lowerclassmen, and generally had good times. I'd say the RC is the popular choice: it's mostly freshmen with maybe 10-15 students per upperclass returning.

Stay in the RC!

It's really convenient and safe. Plus you get to know everyone. I think the commuters didn't get the same experience (or at least I didn't get to know them as well as people I saw all the time in the dorms and cafeteria), and I wouldn't commute from off campus unless you're married or already have a life outside ICO in Chicago.

(If your class wins ICO olympics as 1st years you're in for a good 4 years.)

Last edited: