Current-Issues in Pharmacy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarcoPolo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here is an interview question that I was not able to find an answer for, What are the Current Issues in the practice of Pharmacy?

I would really appreciate your help and thank you in advance.

Marco.

Members don't see this ad.

1. CPOE
2. BMV
3. JCAHO MM 4.10
4. EMAR
5. and staffing..

Good Luck!

1. CPOE
2. BMV
3. JCAHO MM 4.10
4. EMAR
5. and staffing..

Good Luck!

Wait, you mean we have to look up the acronyms? What are we supposed to be, interested enough to find out what they mean on our own? Do you know how long googling takes? Geez.:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
except for BMV...everything pulls up quickly on Google...

Gawd.. how did we get through pharmacy school without the internet..

except for BMV...everything pulls up quickly on Google...

Gawd.. how did we get through pharmacy school without the internet..

Yeah, I'm lost on BMV. Who calls it Bureau of Motor Vehicles? Honestly! Stupid thing is pasted all over, can't find anything that looks pharmacy related. Guess I'll have to search using better keywords.:idea:

Yeah, I'm lost on BMV. Who calls it Bureau of Motor Vehicles? Honestly! Stupid thing is pasted all over, can't find anything that looks pharmacy related. Guess I'll have to search using better keywords.:idea:

Bedside Medication Verification...otherwise known as Bar code scanning.

some of my favorites....*bangs head against wall*

Are you banging your head agasint a wall? This post is usless without the picture of the knot on the head.. j/k

ehh..maybe not.... if you googled bmv pharmacy, you get a whole lotta stuff.

Now you still need to figure out what the issues are...

Are you banging your head agasint a wall? This post is usless without the picture of the knot on the head.. j/k
how 'bout a picture of harried nurses and aggravated pharmacists fighting with EMAR and BMV?
make that understaffed pharmacists

how 'bout a picture of harried nurses and aggravated pharmacists fighting with EMAR and BMV?
make that understaffed pharmacists

Are you the one fighting? Why are you understaffed? There is no excuse for that... understaffed pharmacy department kills patients... That's what you get for living in a democrat state...:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you the one fighting? Why are you understaffed? There is no excuse for that... understaffed pharmacy department kills patients... That's what you get for living in a democrat state...:smuggrin:

We've been over this before...you, my friend, are the rare one! Hospitals love to understaff pharmacies - particularly the night shift (do you agree tussionex???)

And....you're leaving! I predict unhappy pharmacists down there in TX.

EMAR & BMV - great when it works - awful when it doesn't. But - a great place for those "techies" who are interested in pharmacy!

nope, not me...i'm the only staff pharmacist who is computer literate enough to understand how to use and fix our EMARs etc....i'm a techie and proud of it...we are fighting with people who have never touched a computer in their life and are proud of it!

we love being understaffed. it builds character.

We've been over this before...you, my friend, are the rare one! Hospitals love to understaff pharmacies - particularly the night shift (do you agree tussionex???)

And....you're leaving! I predict unhappy pharmacists down there in TX.

EMAR & BMV - great when it works - awful when it doesn't. But - a great place for those "techies" who are interested in pharmacy!

3 more days to go...seriously considering taking PTO on Thu and Friday and calling tomorrow the last day...
I can sense the department falling apart oh so rapidly.....along with panick setting in with the administration.

I've always done the job with the positive outlook and good intentions but looking back, I went to battle against everyone trying to do the right thing for the patients and pharmacy.

Today I realized they really do need me...even the ones glad to see me go are uneasy with some changes to come. I made sure we ran the staffing the way I see fit...but I backed it up by coming in $600,000 below budget in purchasing and $1,200,000 below trending. But I get the feeling the administration will go back to the old habit of demanding "flex" staffing for the pharmacy.

nope, not me...i'm the only staff pharmacist who is computer literate enough to understand how to use and fix our EMARs etc....i'm a techie and proud of it...we are fighting with people who have never touched a computer in their life and are proud of it!

we love being understaffed. it builds character.

You're definitely a character alright..:cool:

3 more days to go...seriously considering taking PTO on Thu and Friday and calling tomorrow the last day...
I can sense the department falling apart oh so rapidly.....along with panick setting in with the administration.

I've always done the job with the positive outlook and good intentions but looking back, I went to battle against everyone trying to do the right thing for the patients and pharmacy.

Today I realized they really do need me...even the ones glad to see me go are uneasy with some changes to come. I made sure we ran the staffing the way I see fit...but I backed it up by coming in $600,000 below budget in purchasing and $1,200,000 below trending. But I get the feeling the administration will go back to the old habit of demanding "flex" staffing for the pharmacy.

Good luck ahead! Altho the outlook for your hosital staff is grim....& I'll actually post an interesting article about that....I think your own personal outlook is a positive one & one in which you'll find fullmint.

For current ISSUES in pharmacy...read this article:

Reimbursment for Clinical Services Provided by Pharmacists: Where Have We Gone Wrong?
Am J Health-System Pharmacists 2007:64(1)104-106

We can talk about all the "things" that get our jobs done faster or easier - but the issue is the "mindset" of who is going to school, who is teaching in that school & what is being taught.

This affects all practice situations - not just hospital, retail, closed-door or clinics.

I often see a limited approach to what pharmacists do & what they are capable of doing. But, as this article points out - with increasing possibilities - the harm we could do can outweigh the good.

That brings up - is licensure sufficient? A question always comes up - does the school where you go matter? Do you have to do a residency? What is the future?

Honestly, there is no one right answer, but, the one answer I can definitely predict is pharmacy will be different in 10 years than it is now. And...if you're not willing to keep up & stay flexible - you could be left behind & indeed, you may become that highly respected, but outdated telegraph operator referenced. You also have to learn & understand the many different reimbursement structures within the profession. Otherwise, you'll just be dumbfounded as to why you are apparently dispensing rxs on the retail side for less than cost, altho your corporation insists on it or, why your CEO could care less if you'll save money by running an anticoag clinic.

Now....would I bring this up in an interview - hmmmm..no. As the article points out, often there is a culture gap between academicians & the actual practice of pharmacy.

But...I'd bet my last dollar this will come up in my meeting this weekend!

Later kids... will drop in time to time.:smuggrin:

MSII has you down to the last one huh?:rolleyes:

Not yet.....she's down to her last 3 days of MSII - will be MS III after Fri (if she passes:p )

But.....there's all that "other" parent stuff!!! Wait till you get there! Its endless! (Don't get me wrong - not just her - I've got a 21 yo son - he's no amt of small change himself!!!)

But...we love them both - wouldn't change a thing - which is WHY I keep up with pharmacy (& the SO keeps on keepin' on with teeth):D

I do NOT want to end up licking and sticking - I wasn't trained for that & that was 30 yrs ago!

i was robbed last sunday for oxycontin pills so i guess an important issue for the future if not now, is security in the pharmacy considering we have high priced addictive oxycontin pills. Numerous robberies have been reported across the nation for these narcotics. It's getting out of hand and I don't feel safe at the pharmacy anymore.