Current Mayo Cards Fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if any of the current mayo fellows can shed some light on the call schedules for the first 2 years. This is the information on the website but nothing about the call-schedule on these rotations or in the CCU. Also if you have time, please comment on the program as a whole. Thank you for your time.

First Year Rotations Length
Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory 16 weeks
Echocardiography Laboratory 13 weeks
Electrophysiology Service 7 weeks
Nuclear Cardiology Laboratory 9 weeks
Pacemaker Service 7 weeks

Second Year Rotations Length
Coronary Care Unit 12 weeks
Inpatient Consultations 12 weeks
Cardiology Hospital Service 12 weeks
Cardiovascular Health Clinic and
Cardiovascular Surgery 4 weeks
Advanced Echocardiology, Cardiac Catheterization or Pacemaker Laboratory 8 weeks
Electrocardiography Laboratory 4 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

can someone also comment about perception of mayo cardiology in the world of academia and private practice. Obviously, its ranked fairly high on US News rankings but are there any institutional or regional biases when looked for a job? Also, is it true that within the 4 yr fellowship you can complete general + sub-speciality (interventional, echo, EP, etc)? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Mayo cards fellow. Brief response to your question.
First year includes 3 months of call for EP and Pace, usually q3 or q4 and approximately q4 on cath (4 months). Both of these are home call. You will also have one week of echo call (echo call is done in one week blocks)--again home call. No call while on nuclear. Call is relatively easy. The Mayo philosophy is to equip you will skills in your first year so you will be more adept when you actually have to make patient decisions on your own as a second year.

Second year call includes 3 months of CCU (q4 in house) as well as 1-2 months of consults (basically 24 hour pager coverage for the hospital). CCU in house fellow helps you out for after hours consults. I will spare you other details. At least two weeks of echo call in your second year.

Mayo is set up so your third year is research and then your 4th year is subspecialty training--1 yr ep, general cath, echo, etc...

As to job opportunities and perception in private practice and academia, I'm still figuring this out. The market appears tough for everyone right now. Overall, most fellows including myself are quite happy. Excellent training and teaching. I feel fortunate to be able to train here.