Current medical student in China wanting to transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Basically I want to know whether it's possible to transfer to either a U.S medical school (I am a U.S citizen) or a Singaporean Medical school.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

whoa..
why you are attending a medical school in China if you're an American out of curiosity?
(As in..was it intentional as you live in China?)
Also what's the end goal? to practice in China, the USA or Singapore?

If it's to eventually work in Singapore or the USA - I would suggest you start over rather than attempt to transfer. It's virtually impossible to transfer medical schools. you have to remember these are professional graduate level schools in many Western countries. Not undergraduate programs. one doesn't merely transfer credits, particularly as the healthcare systems to each country are so diverse. They'll want to train their students from the very beginning.

Alternatively, you could try emailing a couple of schools and see what the suggestions are direct from a representative.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm an american citizen by blood. I'm a New Zealander I have never been to the U.S, I grew up in New Zealand and did my first degree there. I chose China because in New Zealand it's somewhat impossible to get into med school unless you are ethnic or had this goal early on (I fit neither of those categories). The end goal is to work in New Zealand or Australia but that's basically impossible from what i've already heard. So the U.S and usmle's it is for me. You also have to remember my school is recognized by WHO and all the other authorities hence why I chose it because my Medical council in New Zealand even recognizes it, that being said; I imagine the pre-clinical years at almost all medical school are 95% the same considering the requirement of passing licensing tests and such regardless of country.

So this is what I mean, transfer just after I finish my pre-clinical years and i'm happy to repeat a year or two of pre-clinicals. Also the healthcare system diversity doesn't matter because i'm planning to do my clinical years there so essentially it will be the only healthcare system I know.

Yeah I've heard of Drexel and NE ohio but those are the only two so far.

Any more info is much appreciated

Lol, just trying to be helpful.

If you're confident of this -
my school is recognized by WHO and all the other authorities hence why I chose it because my Medical council in New Zealand even recognizes it, that being said; I imagine the pre-clinical years at almost all medical school are 95% the same considering the requirement of passing licensing tests and such regardless of country.
Then by all means give it a try. If you've heard of Drexel and NE Ohio being maybe open to it, then ask them. It doesn't cost you a thing anyway to do it.

IMO, it's not going to matter if your school is internationally recognized or if you believe it's 95% similar to the American pre-clinical curriculum. I'm saying it's not equivalent, but I'm not about to argue this with you if you strongly believe this. It's rare in any Western country for students to be able to even transfer schools within the same country or state. And like I said, nothing is going to either stop you (or hurt you) if you ask and if you want to try. It's just costs you your own time.

Rather than seeking my opinion (as it doesn't sound like what I'm saying is what you wish to hear), I'd suggest this: post in the Medical Student MD forum which is highly populated by American students and faculty. Get their opinion for the US system if you wish to transfer there (don't mention Singapore - stick to the main question re: possibility of transferring to the American system in the American forum - predicate it with you have no idea how it works, be clear that while you are an American citizen, you grew up in NZ and have never set foot on US soil).

You'll notice it's much quieter in the international forums - because SDN has a primarily American user base. And there's a chance you may not get an answer for a while in these parts. I only happened to pass through by chance because I was looking for things to do. If you decide to post there, perhaps request to close this thread (as in leave a comment directed toward moderators).

Are you a New Zealand citizen?
You could have applied to Australia and had you gotten in, you would been guaranteed the intern year in Australia, but only if you do a full degree on Australian soil, not two years off shore, then two years on.

Last edited: