Current MS2.. need some advice about business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oli84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm an MS2 and I'm considering moving into a non-clinical career, doing something still within the health care industry such as pharmaceuticals, or running my own health-care related business. an MBA is probable, but residency is something I'm not interested in at the moment.

I have some questions:

1. What kinds of jobs can I get into with just the MD and nothing else? In short, what can I do with a medical degree and no residency?

2. I've been reading some of the threads here and noticed that people recommend doing a year of internship. How much will this help?

3. Do many hospital executives have residency training?

Thanks guys! I may have more questions later on but this is it for now :)

Members don't see this ad.

hospital executives go through an adminstrative fellowship which consists of a rotation between different departments within the hospital. It usually is for those who have completed a Masters in Health Admin or an MPH in Policy/Management, but I'd think that you may be able to swing in with a MD..

Thanks for the response. :)

What are the salary ranges of these hospital executives?
And isn't it entirely possible that doctors working around them would view them as having turned to the 'dark side' or not having enough experience with patient care to make the administrative decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Admins have nothing to do with patient care for the most part. You usually just have an idea of how things work from the doctor/patient standpoint. Many doctors will disagree with the admins on various issues because its about $$$ for the admins and its about the patients for the doctors.

Hosp Execs I've seen salaries of $100-250K, all depending on experience and location. If you think you'll just land a job out of internship for $300K ... well they are rare but I've heard of it happening. Especially in rural areas but usually these docs also take on patients and have a specialty (they did residency).

OK, I understand this a bit more now.

Has anyone heard of any physician entrepreneurs, specifically those that have their own start-up in the health-care industry? I'd like to know more about them to explore more options.