current mstp, what computer courses did you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoggie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to decide which computer courses to take... i'm thinking along the lines of data and statistical oriented, since i don't see the practical use of programming in medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

As a programmer, I would recommend taking a programming course if you've never learned to program before. The primary reason for this is that I have found that learning to program ~8 years ago has had the most influential impact on the way I think and problem-solve. They say that Orgo is important because it changes the way you view problems--I say that's a bunch of BS, but substitute 'Orgo' with 'programming' and I think that's accurate.

Besides the above pedagogical argument, in the world of research having the skill of programming can be a practical necessity. I spend a good portion of each day working on data acquisition and analysis programs for my projects and other projects going on in the lab, and one of my past programs has even developed into a source of income for the lab. :thumbup:

I'm being a bit hypocritical, though, because although I'm suggesting that you take a programming course, I've actually never taken any computer course, let alone a programming one; I'm making the assumption that you don't already know how to program and that you don't plan on teaching yourself (which is quite easy to do, provided you have the motivation to do it). I view programming courses much like I view MCAT prep courses: only take them if the structure of a course helps you and provides the motivation that you need...otherwise do it yourself.

In any event, just don't take an 'Intro to Computers' type course :laugh:

Perl, C++ or web design depending on what you wanna do. Perl if you want to get into bioinformatics or something, C++ if you want to get some solid background or web design (HTML isn't really programming that's for sure) just for fun and to make some cool pages.

Members don't see this ad :)
adoggie said:
trying to decide which computer courses to take... i'm thinking along the lines of data and statistical oriented, since i don't see the practical use of programming in medicine.

I would agree programming, particularly C++ or another Higher level language that teaches Object orientied methodologies would be good. One emerging application in this realm is use of computer modeling of biological system, e.g. computation neurscience. This applies computer modeling techniques to Biological systems, that is computer programs that model biological systems. These are first validated with available data to ensure the model fits the observed system and then used predictively in some fashion. Note - that is so much easier said than done. However, many of the modeling simulations are based on some programming language.

Just another potental application of Programming languages to Biological reseach. I also do agree with the above comments others have made too.

regards,

Rob

adoggie said:

I'd like some more info before I answer this question. What year are you in now? What's your major? Why do you want to take computer courses? What's your research interests like?