Current ObGyn Residents:Urgent help pls!

Started by timtye78
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

timtye78

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear Friends,

My name is Tim Tye. I have a classmate who I recently graduated with who needs help. Any advice or information given would be greatly appreciated.

My friend recently matched at an ObGyn program in Texas. Today (wednesday) he received notice that the hospital is closing this Friday! His program will try to help him find something, but who knows. He has a wife that is pregnant, and he is not even sure if he is going to get another paycheck!! Talk about a nightmarish situation! This email is absolutely sincere, and this isn't a joke!

Does anyone know of any openings in ObGyn programs, say that didn't fill, or filled but not everyone actually come? Or does anyone know of any transitional years that might have openings? Prefers to stay in Dallas area or Texas, but actually interested anything at this point. He is an American educated physician who loves obgyn and is a great friend.

I do have the unfilled list printed off for him, and he will be getting that soon. Any help?
Thanks in advance!
😱
 
tim-
if you go to the ACOG website they have a listing of open residency spots including PGY1 positions and the contact info. These are not just programs that did not fill, they are also programs where residents have dropped out. there are a few postings for PGY 1 although PGY 2 and up have more. Hope this helps!!
 
timtye78 said:
Dear Friends,

My name is Tim Tye. I have a classmate who I recently graduated with who needs help. Any advice or information given would be greatly appreciated.

My friend recently matched at an ObGyn program in Texas. Today (wednesday) he received notice that the hospital is closing this Friday! His program will try to help him find something, but who knows. He has a wife that is pregnant, and he is not even sure if he is going to get another paycheck!! Talk about a nightmarish situation! This email is absolutely sincere, and this isn't a joke!

Does anyone know of any openings in ObGyn programs, say that didn't fill, or filled but not everyone actually come? Or does anyone know of any transitional years that might have openings? Prefers to stay in Dallas area or Texas, but actually interested anything at this point. He is an American educated physician who loves obgyn and is a great friend.

I do have the unfilled list printed off for him, and he will be getting that soon. Any help?
Thanks in advance!
😱

From the CREOG Clearinghouse website.

PGY 1 POSITION(S) AVAILABLE
Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune, NJ
Unexpected pgy 1 position available. Interested candidates should fax complete ERAS application, including CV, medical school transcript, personal statement, Dean's letter, USMLE scores (steps 1 and 2) and three letters of recommendation to Cyndi Gundlach, Residency Coordinator at (732) 776-4525 For furher information call (732) 776-3790. International medical graduates must have a valid ECFMG certificate, be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident or have a valid J-1 sponsored visa. PHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED. (position available immediately)

University of Tennessee COM: Chattanooga, TN
Fax ERAS application with cover letter, USMLE scores (steps 1 and 2), Dean's letter, personal statement, medical school transcript and three letters of recommendation to Shanon Sims, Residency Coordinator at (423) 267-6244. FAX ONLY, NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. (position available January 1, 2005)

Washington Hospital Center: Washington, DC
Interested candidates should e-mail ERAS application, CV, medical school transcripts and Dean's leter to Tonya McFadden, Residency Program Coordinator at [email protected]. E-MAIL ONLY, NO FAX OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE. (position available immediately)

University of South Alabama: Mobile, AL
Interested candidates should fax complete ERAS application, including CV, medical school transcript, personal statement, Dean's letter, USMLE scores (steps 1 and 2) and one letter of recommendation to Kimberlee Nodine, Resident Coordinator at (251) 415-1552. International medical graduates must have a valid ECFMG certificate, be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident or have a valid J-1 sponsored visa. FAX ONLY, NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. (position available immediately)

UMDNJ-RWJ Medical School: New Brunswick, NJ
Pgy 1 position available due to change in specialty. Interested candidates should fax ERAS application, personal statement, USMLE scores (steps 1 and 2), medical school transcript and two letters of recommendation to Gary Ebert, MD, Associate Residency Program Director at (732) 235-6627. For further information regarding the program, you may visit the website at www.rwjms.umdnj.edu/obgyn. FAX ONLY, NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. (position available October 1, 2004)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks to all for the help! It is appreciated. Program/hospital is Osteopathic Medical Center of Texas-bankrupt apparently.. 😕

I will forward this info to him!!
🙂
 
I know this resident, as I just rotated with him last month. He is a class act, and my guess is being male he will get sucked up like coolaid with a Bounty paper towel, by many a program. The real problem is that he will probably have to move out of state which really sucks at the last minute. Our Dean has stated though that the residents will have a place to go, so it sounds like there was a lot of foresight by the school. I trust them and believe that this decision was probably for the best in the long run. I think they probably wanted to put this "old horse of a hospital" out to pasture to allow our primary teaching hospitals to be serious, large teaching county hospitals. Although the residents will suffer, I see this as a tremendous opportunity for our administration to take DO's in Texas to a level that they have never been to. Our second largest teaching hospital routinely has close to 1/3 of our class rotating at it at any given time. This is a top knotch hospital with 75 FP residents that run the inpatient medicine service, and there are residencies in OBGYN, Psych, Ortho, Surg. This hospital is ten times as busy as our hospital that just closed. I have all the faith in our administration because they are all experiences leaders in their fields. It is simply sad for the residents who many of which will have to relocate out of state. I wish them the best.

timtye78 said:
Thanks to all for the help! It is appreciated. Program/hospital is Osteopathic Medical Center of Texas-bankrupt apparently.. 😕

I will forward this info to him!!
🙂
 
Hello,

I'm a PGY-2 OB/Gyn resident at Albany Medical Center in Albany, NY. We have an opening for a PGY-2 OB resident available immediately. If anyone knows OB residents affected by the closure that still need positions, please feel free to email me. We have a very DO friendly program, about 1/3 of our residents are DOs. The only drawback is that it's kinda chilly up here! I hate to say this, but this closure is the primary reason I chose to go allopathic for residency...I wish everyone affected by this the best of luck. Residency is stressful enough without having to find a new position!

Stefanie Allison, DO
[email protected]