cloud99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
I'm confused about the "summer clerkship". I'm thinking it must begin in late may after the intersession break (which I think is a week long), at the beginning of the OD2 year, but I'm not sure. Where is it, how long does it last, and what exactly do you do? Do you do this full-time, as in monday through friday, 8-4 or 9-5? If so, then when do you have your summer classes? After you're through with your clerkship or simultaneously?

Can anyone help?

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2007
Status
Optometry Student
I'm confused about the "summer clerkship". I'm thinking it must begin in late may after the intersession break (which I think is a week long), at the beginning of the OD2 year, but I'm not sure. Where is it, how long does it last, and what exactly do you do? Do you do this full-time, as in monday through friday, 8-4 or 9-5? If so, then when do you have your summer classes? After you're through with your clerkship or simultaneously?

Can anyone help?
Last year, we had the option of doing it in one of two sessions both lasting about 4 weeks long. session one started a week after spring semester ended. however i hear that this year they will only have one session which is equivalent to our session two last yr. so you'll get a month off after spring, start your externships, then followed by classes immediately after that which should be close to mid july (or maybe you get a couple of days off I can't remember). So, clarkship and summer classes do not take place simultaneously. there is a large selection of sites you can choose from and you will do that in the middle of your spring semester, some being out of the country. everyone has a different experience, some people sit around and stare into space for the majority of their time, personally I got a great experience doing alot of hands on ophthalmic work as well as screening and actual testing/slit lamp/ refraction. the schedule is up to you and your preceptor as long as you complete your hours you're good. the goal of the clarkship is for you to get hands on experience with ophthalmic materials but depending on your location and preceptor that could vary.

cloud99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
A month off??? Nice.....
I pictured summer semester being just as intense as fall/spring, cramming in classes and clerkship all day every day for 12 weeks. Nice to know classes only last about a month. Thanks for the info!