Current PGY2 seeking CA1 position starting in July2018 or 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GyAdvice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year resident looking to pursue anesthesiology in the future.

I am seeking to fill a CA-1 position in July of 2018 or 2019.

I have already completed preliminary IM year, current finishing PGY-2. Great clinical, excellent Step 1 score, and numerous publications in Oncology. Good LORs and no problems with current program. US citizen.

I am looking at ERAS and NMRP- without leads.

Any advice or details on current or future training opportunities would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll lay it out a bit more clearly. Probability of 1) locating and 2) obtaining a CA-1 spot that is going to start in less than 2 months: <0.00001%. Realistically if there was a spot within the same institution you are doing IM, then that would be your best shot. So that makes July 2018, for all intents and purposes, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. (As an aside - your oncology publications don't really matter with respect to the practice of clinical anesthesia and securing a residency spot... unless you are a PhD researcher that is looking to do a research track residency at one of the few programs that exist.)

Now, moving on to July 2019. Apply to every "R" position available in ERAS this upcoming interview season (fall 2018), cross your fingers and hope for the best. There aren't a lot of these spots, and they are comparatively competitive due to supply vs demand.

Last step, while you are applying for all the "R" positions, apply for Advanced spots during this upcoming interview season as well (fall 2018). Yes, these would start in July 2020, but if you really want to do Anesthesia, this is how to ensure your best shot. Spend that gap year making money as a hospitalist, doing pre-op clinic, urgent care, whatever... Enjoy the free time to pass your IM boards as well.

Reactions: 1 user