Current situation for IMGs moving to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jane2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some idea of how hard it is for IMGs to work in Canada at the moment? I am at med school in the uk and would like to live and work in Toronto. I realise this is a very big and general question but would be really grateful for any tips on the best way to go about doing this, given the current situation. I understand that there are now some 'allocated' spots for IMGs? How can one maximise one's chances of getting one?

Some UK students do an intercalated BSc as part of med school, I have this as an option, would something like this be useful when applying to Canada or not really? Would I be competing against Canadian students as well, or only IMGs (because I would basically only get a place in the IMG quota)?

Lastly obviously visas are an issue. I don't really want to have to leave Canada again after I get there, so ideally I would be able to go to Canada on a visa which either enables me to stay permanently or which I could convert to one which would then enable me to stay permanently. How likely is this?

I would particularly love to hear from any success stories who have made it over there from the UK or elsewhere.

Anyway, any help or advice much appreciated... thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would start by looking at the CaRMS website (google CaRMS) for residency match information (if you want to do residency here), and then the provincial health agencies' website for information on practicing, depending on where you want to live. In your case, for Toronto, look at OHIP - the Ontario Health Insurance Program. Also check out this link:http://www.cpso.on.ca/Info_physicians/applicants/regist.htm#IMG

Sorry I don't have more information, but this is the kind of thing you can should be able to out within a fairly short time online.

One of the big limiting factors if I read this right is your immigration status - if you are not a landed immigrant (ie. permanent resident - which leads to citizenship) or Canadian citizen, you will not be allowed to apply to any of the CaRMS positions as they are ministry funded positions. To get one of those can take a while -6 months to 12 months depending on where you apply and by which vehicle (ie family class sponsorship, etc. - easier way in); applying via the London office (assuming you are British or Irish) will be the route for you and that office is notorious for wait times compared to other Canadian embassies or high commissions. In getting an individual visa, immigration do indicate that there is no promise for jobs (and they do actually have a form letter indicating that for physicians); this is also one of the harder routes.

As this version of the CaRMS match is new (involving the IMGs in the first round), wait till after the results come out on March 15th - this will give a better picture of how they did this year. UK and Irish grads have done pretty well in getting into Canada even in the last version of CaRMS (just read the boards here for further evidence, my proof is that all of my classmates and friends that have gone over to the UK and Ireland and have wanted to come home also have all gotten back into Canada).

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is for Family Class sponsorship and initially applying within Canada (which I did for my wife for the first part - approval of sponsorship). She had to deal with the Canadian high commission in London (Trafalgar Square) for the actual PR status as we moved back to Ireland - our entire ordeal lasted 10 months.

I can only assume that the above link applies if you fully applying from outside (both sponsorship and the subsequent request for PR status or individual application) and hence the grotesque waiting times noted.

Thanks for these.

The thing is, I can't get family class sponsorship (i have an uncle in Canada but I don't think that counts!) so I will be facing a very long wait for approval. But I don't know if it is really worth applying for a visa before I have my qualifications etc? At the moment I don't think I would have enough points to get in. Can you apply and then update as your points increase, as you gain further experience, education etc?

Finally does anyone know whether being in academic medicine would make it any easier to go over there?

Thanks again.