Current students: UCSF vs. USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stinkertoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do current students feel about their experiences at UCSF or USC? I've heard that UCSF focuses on its medical students more and is more competitive. It's also more research-related?

I also heard that the students at USC help each other out more, but social life outside of school is not really happening.

What are some positives and negatives about each school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

stinkertoo said:
How do current students feel about their experiences at UCSF or USC? I've heard that UCSF focuses on its medical students more and is more competitive. It's also more research-related?

I also heard that the students at USC help each other out more, but social life outside of school is not really happening.

What are some positives and negatives about each school? Thanks.

I have to reply tho this really quickly because i'm about to leave to the game, but in my 3 months at USC so far there seems to be a lot happening socially. Lots of people at our school are involved in organizations. There's a close feeling among students cuz we all want to help eachother. I dont know where you heard that social thing, I had never heard it before.

TrojanAnteater said:
I have to reply tho this really quickly because i'm about to leave to the game, but in my 3 months at USC so far there seems to be a lot happening socially. Lots of people at our school are involved in organizations. There's a close feeling among students cuz we all want to help eachother. I dont know where you heard that social thing, I had never heard it before.
my dream school! sigh

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a current UCSF student, but I have shadowed pharmacy students (who are also my friends) that go to the school. From my experience with them, the school doesn't just "focus" on the medical students... not sure what you really mean by that. Their resources are just as good as the med students, and they do take some classes with them also. Although UCSF is known for research, they don't force everyone to do research (if you know about the pathways, you know what I'm talking about).

Oh, and about students helping each other out more... the students I were with were awesome. Even during the pharm info days they couldn't stop raving how nice everyone was in helping each other with exams, studying, etc. They were- one guy gave everyone copies of his study guide, how nice!

My dream school... :laugh:

As a current P1, I have to say that I LOVE UCSF!! Everybody..students and facutly are very helpful. When you get to this stage in your education it's not about competing with your fellow students for the best grades but helping each other out. Older students hand down old midterms and notes and give the younger ones tips. My fellow classmates make study sheets and shares with the whole class. There is a feeling of unity..we're all in this together. There is just so many opportunities here...skys the limit!

Faculty here are awesome. They dont treat you as students but as future colleagues. As a student pharmacist (not pharmacy student) here your opinion really matters, if you dont like something in the curriculum they really listen to you and each year they make improvements. I have never felt that UCSF favors the medical students over pharmacy. We provide services to 2 different aspects of healthcare and are equally important. In fact, the facutly keeps on encouraging us to be leaders in the field...if there's something you really want to do you can do it!

Besides academics, SF is a great city with endless fun...you will never get bored here!