starryx2sky

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
San Gabriel Valley
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi All!

I'm writing this in hopes that you (current USC dental student) will give me some more info about USC dental school. I have gotten accepted to SC and several other dental schools such as UNLV, Western, etc.
I'm interested in knowing several things: 1) how satisfied are you in the program? 2) did PBL work for you? 3) what's the first year like? could you share your academic schedule with me? 4) any advice for students such as myself who are indecisive about committing to SC?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!! :)

xhamburgersamx

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hi All!

I'm writing this in hopes that you (current USC dental student) will give me some more info about USC dental school. I have gotten accepted to SC and several other dental schools such as UNLV, Western, etc.
I'm interested in knowing several things: 1) how satisfied are you in the program? 2) did PBL work for you? 3) what's the first year like? could you share your academic schedule with me? 4) any advice for students such as myself who are indecisive about committing to SC?
1) Not very satisfied with PBL because of the subjectiveness of the grading and faciliating between different faculty. It varies from absolutely amazing and learning a lot of new information to laid back and not learning anything. It really depends on yourself, your group, and facilitator.

2) I don't know if has "worked" but it's working in improving all aspects of my life which include, public speaking, problem solving/looking up information, and working with groups.

3) If I can remember correctly. 1st year FALL Schedule was PBL CAse session either morning or afternoon 9am-12pm or 2-5pm. Dental Morph Lecture Tuesday 12-1, morph lab 2-5pm. Thursday: Dental public health lectures/elementary school visits or just no school at all.

4) can't answer 4

briansle

Cell A
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Hi All!

You're in San Gabriel Valley according to your location. So if SC and Western are the only CA schools you got into, then those are probably your two options. (Of course this is assuming you want to stay in CA)

Now comes to down to cost. Not sure what Western's tuition is, but SC's is expensive. If you take out loans just for tuition you'll easily be owing >300k, after the accumulated interest. I would go to the cheaper school. If both tuitions are relatively the same, I would go to SC. You can commute and save some money there.

Your first two questions are based on personal preference. First year you'll have lots of free time. Very light load. Nowhere near as hard as you studied in undergrad. My advice would be go to SC if there is no large disparity in tuition costs.:thumbup: