Current USC Dental Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats 1st year like? Whats the schedule like? Is it an 8-5 monday thru friday? How much do you study after classes? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

what he is really asking is does PBL still suck and are clinical reqs still bloody murder?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'm really looking for answers to my questions:smuggrin:

Since no one has really answered your question, let me try even though I just graduated this year. When I was a 1st year, we had PBL 3 times a week. Truthfully, many of my classmates and I thought that PBL was a joke, however, I won't get into the debate that PBL is crap or not. After you get the hang of it i.e. how to b.s. your way through discussion & learning needs, it became really easy. We had dental morphology the 1st two trimesters, which was fairly easy, which was comprised mostly waxing up and carving teeth in wax. The 3rd trimester, which is the summer trimester, was when things got much harder. We had amalgam, occlusion, along with head & neck anatomy. It was a kick in a butt for us since the 1st two semesters were so easy. However, I believe that USC just changed their curriculum and won't make you guys spend so much time in dental morphology anymore. I think they're switching the amalgam course and even have you guys do it the Fall trimester of 1st year. Overall, 1st year will be quite easy relatively to other years. You will have a lot of free time. This is the year if you want to specialize and you want to do research, you will have plenty of time to do so.

Hi, i can help you here.

PBL is Mon and Friday. It is twice a week, you will have a lecture for morph for about 6 weeks, maybe longer then get into direct restorations - amalgam. The way it is set up is funny. You have lecture on Tuesday but your lab time is on Monday. why? because the second year students are in the lab on Tues/Wed/Thurs/Friday. The only time available is Monday unfortunately.

I'm not 100% sure yet but from the way it looks, Wednesday will be completely off unless they throw in some lecture and friday will be half day depending on when you have PBL. Not sure about Thursday but historically it's been days for rotations, public health module or just off.

Definitely your 1st semester will be pretty relaxed that is unless the new morph/amalgam class is intense. I doubt it because it seems like they will ease into 1st semester and get harder in 2nd semester.