current vet students: memorable events? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alliecat44

KSU CVM Class of '11
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I directed the subject line to current vet students, but if any of you pre-vets out there have good ideas, I'm all ears! (Sorry for the cross-post, too--this is on the other forum site.)

I was elected class president today and am looking for some good fundraising ideas. Traditionally, the first years park cars for $10 each at the home football games, but we have two less home games this year! I'd really love to a) get some money in the bank; and b) help my class bond and grow closer.

If anyone has any ideas for class social activities or fundraisers, please share!! Dog washes/penny wars/a raffle/BBQ at a state park/movie night in the auditorium (but how to spice these up?).....Have you guys done anything that was really successful financially and/or socially? Was there anything you would change about the organized events your class put on? Please let me know.

Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was in the pre-vet club, we always had pet washes. One in the fall and one in the spring (get them at both cycles of dog hair and dirtiness).

We always told people that the pet wash was "free", meaning by donation only. You'd think this wouldn't pull much cash in but we made around $10 a dog for a grand total of somewhere between $600-800. Since you're vet students, I imagine you could also offer toe nail trims too at a specified cost. We always avoided that due to liability. People love it. We had a local linen company donate towels (we used them and sent them back to be washed for free, sweet!), Wal-mart donated doggy shampoo, and as always, advertise the &^%$ out of it (radio and flyers and newspaper). We got to use a vet clinic free of charge (good PR for them). Some people are great and will donate lots of money (we washed a newfie and a st bernard one year and got $200.) All we do is bathe the dogs, no grooming, but people loved it! Just set up an assembly line: someone to check people in, some people to wash, other people to dry...half the time we sent dogs out mostly dry but still wet.

We also had a Pet Pictures with Santa event that was a reasonable fundraiser. Those prices were set since we hired a photographer--but we usually got away with $400 for 4 hours of work. People LOVE it! Just specify PET pictures with Santa or you'll get some angry parents.

reminderband.com makes incredibly awesome bands however you want them. they make excellent fundraisers, and everyone loves them. plus, if you buy enough you can sell them cheap and they go like hot cakes. my animal hospital is using them to raise money for the doctors to walk in the breat cancer walk in philly in october. paws for the cause! :]

Members don't see this ad :)
i remember when i worked at Tufts the students there had a fundraiser selling scrub sets... I think they ordered them from allheart.com and got a discount for ordering in bulk... They had names and class year embroidered if you wanted it for a small additional fee... I dont really remember what they charged... but it was definitely reasonable considering how expensive scrubs can get... I am going to mention this to our class president (who we elect on Friday i think....)

good luck making some $$$ :)

We have quite a few clothing items we get made with either our Veterinary Society or faculty logo. Also we get vet products donated and run a shop, which opens two lunchtimes per week. Bayer have been especially generous in giving us Advocate, etc.