Currently in a MSHSA program, should I apply to another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloopers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently started my MSHSA degree. By the end of this summer, I'll have 3 classes done and plan on doing full time in the upcoming semesters so that I could finish by 2017.. My heart was never set on this program, it had always been a backup school for me. The program is accredited, but it lacks the connections with hospitals/other facilities in the healthcare field so beyond the education and a degree, it can't help me as far as job search goes. The program is all over the place... there are HUNDREDS of students in this program and people even have to fight to get into the classes they need. I'm thinking long-term now.. in two years, I'm afraid I'll graduate with just a degree and no opportunities since I know how competitive fellowships are.

The only reason I am in this program now is because I did very poorly on the GMAT a few months back (didn't study, huge mistake) and so I decided to just start taking some classes since this school didn't require the exam and I got accepted prior to taking the test. I am thinking of studying for the GMAT so that I could apply early during the upcoming application cycle to several schools of my choice. However, this will put me back another year since I will be applying for fall of 2016. The accreditation between this program and the ones I am interested in are the same (CAHME accredited), but certain aspects of the program are different due to different schools/rankings/reputation/connections and whatnot.

I'm at a lost of what to do. Many schools do not accept transfer credits either, so that's not an option. I would have to start fresh. I am particularly interested in a fellowship at a hospital post graduation, but I'm afraid that not attending a reputable school will set me back, especially since I have little to no relevant experience.

Should I go ahead and try for another program? Any suggestions or programs that may be a good fit for me?

Here's a little info about myself:
3.3cum undergrad GPA, 3.9 major GPA (healthcare services administration major)
Completed 2 internships, one at the VA, another at a nonprofit healthcare organization
Involved in several student organizations and some volunteer work
As far as work experience, a few years as receptionist

Aiming for at least a 650 on the GMAT when/if I take it towards the end of the year.

Any input would greatly be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: