Currently in Washington State: Seattle U Post Bac only option?

Started by rbwilson
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rbwilson

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any information on Seattle U's post bac program? I am also looking at Mills, SFSU, CAL LA, CAL East BAy, and USC.


About myself:

B.A Philosophy 3.1 GPA
Coast Guard Veteran
Spouse and a 4 year old son
No science background

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Couple things immediately: you'll need more than the prereqs to get into med school, because 3.1 is low and yes it counts. Also, you don't have to do a formal premed program.

I suggest you'll want to look at doing a 2nd bachelors, at a school where you'll thrive and get straight A's. Full enrollment in a degree-seeking-program makes you eligible for registration priority and some federal loans.

Seattle U's cert is okay, but it's very expensive. If you can't get federal loans for their cert program, it would be tough to manage.

The only other formal-ish program in the NW is at Portland State. I know a couple of their postbac grads who are now in med school.

I did UWash, first as a nonmatriculated student, then as an admitted 2nd bachelors student. I don't recommend it, because of the competition for seats in science classes, and because of the sheer mass of the institution. It was completely anonymous and overwhelming for me as an older student.

If I could do it again, I would have left Seattle for Texas (cheap plentiful med schools). Barring that, I would have done UPS instead of UW. (My ideal would be Bennington.)

Don't move to California to do a postbac. California is the most competitive state for med school admissions.

Have you started clinical volunteering yet? If not, please do.

Best of luck to you.
 
I intend on going to Med School in Texas because that is where I am from. I plan on volunteering in a hospital real soon. Maybe your right about another Bachelors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think moving to Texas and getting a second bachelors at UT would benefit me more than a formal post bac program?
 
Do you think moving to Texas and getting a second bachelors at UT would benefit me more than a formal post bac program?
I'm going to go with "yes", because of my experience with other philosophy majors. Two things they have in common:
1. They want to have time to think, not just ingest & regurgitate.
2. They don't hit the ground running in the prereqs - the math & science minutiae & learning-by-working-a-million-problems take a lot of adjustment.

In a formal postbac, or any 1 year scenario, you really don't have time to think or to adjust, or make mistakes.

A slower postbac would also minimize/postpone the years when your family doesn't ever see you.

UT Dallas has a good semi-structured program, with a lot of support, and IIRC a 2nd bachelors option. I would assume you have options at all the UT's - compare to UTD for what you'll need to care about.

Heads up on planning for the MCAT: you need your score in hand when you apply to med school, and TMDSAS opens on May 1. It takes 6-8 weeks to get your score after the exam, so a January or March exam date maximizes your chances.

Best of luck to you.