This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

another student 909

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, if you can do 7-10 hr/week from Jan-May gives you 100+ and then show continuance through summer.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, if you can do 7-10 hr/week from Jan-May gives you 100+ and then show continuance through summer.

Not just through the summer, but through the whole application cycle. Applicants should keep up with their activities in case they have to reapply. OP will also need 50 hours of shadowing including several hours with a primary care doc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try free health clinics. I was in a similar position to you (although I had a position beforehand that was interrupted) but I managed to find a free health clinic here where I work now essentially as a Spanish interpreter and patient helper; literally exponentially more patient interaction and more enjoyable than any of the other cookie-cutter BS I was doing before like scribing or hospital volunteering. Also, the onboarding process took like literally 5 days (they are in huge need).

I don't know where you live but most larger cities have a lot of free clinics. Also to address your normal point if you end up with a solid amount of hours it probably won't matter the time frame unless it's literally a month; you have 8 months until apps open and you can apply late, even then that's more than enough time for something to be considered "longitudinal" or whatever they like to call longstanding positions.

Reactions: 1 user
Not just through the summer, but through the whole application cycle. Applicants should keep up with their activities in case they have to reapply. OP will also need 50 hours of shadowing including several hours with a primary care doc.
This. Not only does it build momentum if you have to reapply, but you'll hopefully start to get more involved and even get into some leadership (if applicable) opportunities. Might even make a halfway decent update letter.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.