curricula in philippine med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maia

snoerkel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

was wondering, does somebody know if which of these schools use Problem-based learning method in their curriculum? UST, CIM, Fatima, FEU, ST. Luke's, San Beda, UP, St. Louis?
btw, why does St. Luke's take 5 years? :eek:
tnx! :D

Members don't see this ad.

h! i kinda dont know about the others, but i do know for sure that CIM has problem based learning now.

I believe University of the East and UP have versions of problem based curriculum.

St. Lukes takes 5 years because they require you to do your post graduate internship at St. Lukes Hospital prior to giving you your diploma. Most other schools will give diplomas after 4 years. But if you plan to practice in the Philippines, it is mandatory to do a post graduate internship (PGI). So plan on being in school for 5 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
In San Beda, we use modified PBL curriculum. It's still basically traditional but we have an integrative course called PBL where we discuss cases like in module format.

does anybody know about West Visayas State University medschool's program?

saw on a list that they were in the top 5 medschools for 1998-1999 (together with UP-PGH, UST, CIM....) but that was a long time ago.
i was trying to get to their website but can't get through.
would appreciate anything! tnx! :D

by the by, anybody have any idea about top 5 medschool lists? :oops:

Hey Maia,

I've just been accepted to CIM and from the interview I was told that they have just begun Problem based learning in their curriculum. Hope that helps!

maia said:

saw on a list that they were in the top 5 medschools for 1998-1999 (together with UP-PGH, UST, CIM....) but that was a long time ago.

these lists are usually simply based on passing rates for the Philippine boards, so you get a new list every 6 months and the prc publishes a summary (3 or 5 years, i think).

I really wouldn't recommend using this list as basis. I mean, this would mean that UP and Fatima are competing for the top spot, when any med student would tell you that Fatima has a reputation for accepting those who didn't get accepted into the good schools.

Anyways, for our batch (AUG 03) its UP, CIM, UST, PLM, WVSU, SLU. (in that ordera0

I was pretty impressed with the 2 interns I worked with from WVSU, they were much better than some of the interns we got from med schools in Manila. They were also well prepared for the practical stuff unlike those fromsome private med schools.

Honestly, I would have to tell you that UP is the best med school in the country. I apologize if this sounds arrogant, but this is generally an undisputed fact. Contrary to popular belief, there is no minimum NMAT score, but it is very competitive, from application to graduation. There are legitimate alternate doors though, like you can apply for the regionalization program if you are not from NCR or Region IV. Also, even though academiics are obviously important, leadership skills and a good service record can make up for slightly average grades and scores. Did I mention we paid 13,529.50 pesos per sem?

Other than that, I would recommend PLM (they have a good reputaion and yet I still feel they are underrated) and UST in Manila. PLM was my second choice when I started med, and I would still rank it as a second choice even now. SLU in Northern Luzon, and CIM down south have pretty nice reps too.

You should not be worried if intelligence is inherent to you. I think any medical school could make you a good doctor if youre smart enough. Ang patient naman di magtatanong kung san ka naggraduate eh. There are many graduates of top medical schools who were not able to have a chance to get their residency training because of poor credentials, so being a graduate of reputable school is not always a guarantee to be on top of priorities.
Ang mahalaga siguro taasan nyo ang academic grades nyo, taasan ang board rating para di kayo mahirapan sa pag residency training. Wag kayong maakit sa ganda ng hospital ang dapat nyong tandaan sa pagpili ng training institution yong bulk ng patient kasi sila ang gagawin nyong libro. The bulk of cases that you have seen would make you a good doctor.

UP currently has an Organ Systems Integrated Curriculum. It's like PBL and the traditional curriculum mixed together...the students tackle all the aspects (anatomy, histology,biochem, physio,etc.) of an organ system at a time. They still get lectures, but have a lot of small group discussions and teaching sessions, compared to the old curriculum.

Hope this helps :)

yes, UP is currently on the OSI curriculum. some say it's a mixture of PBL and the traditional. others state it's just a transition period into PBL.

either way, i hope it works. i'm part of the class to experience such a change. (Yay Class 2009!)

and also, i didn't realize St. Luke's was on a 5 year duration too. UP is also 5 years... i think this must be because PGH needs the workforce. :D

just to make things clear for myself and probably for others, can someone explain prob based learning...salamat

just to make things clear for myself and probably for others, can someone explain prob based learning...salamat

schools with a strictly PBL curriculum should probably speak up here.

but, i'll try to interpret what i've heard from others... Problem-based learning is when the chief method of teaching is not didactics. Students are given cases/problems to evaluate to be able to learn the theoreticals better.

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure am not from a pbl school..i'm from an integrated. Do note UE is now integrated also from what i was told by the filams this year that they were the first Inegrated batch...i notice earlier someone posted since this is an old thread that UE was PBL.

But the idea is this..

Traditional course you basically are taught like memorization. you have this problem..so this happens..blah blah..like systematically you throw out stuff like root memory. This i think is more like book work..learn the books and memorize stuff. You have loads of lectures about different stuff. Here you have like set classes where your in class all the time.

PBL you go through modules..where you do one system a time. but the idea is this...u work your way to the correct answer to the problem. Like you might have a problem given to you..then you have to go out and figure out with some friend or by yourself how to work to fix it. So in this system there aren't much lectures lecture persay from what my friends tell me. You have less actual class time...cause your suppose to be looking for the answer to the solution. You have more free time to study or what not. More time to study USMLE hehe...problem is when you have an exam u don't know sometimes the coverage since not much was lectured on it. So in PBL there is more of you actively teaching/learning yourself.

Integrated is suppose to be a mix of both world. You have some lectures. Class are taught in modules somewhat. If your doing respiratory in anatomy..you'll be doing it in biochem and physio at the same time. So you can integrate it all. You have case discussion or like student group discussion with a teacher. So your doing old school by having lectures..but at the same time you do pbl by talking or solving it out.

But like i'm not very sure.

One friend said basically a tradtional doctor will have a good basics for science/medicine per say...on what's going on in typical cases. Give him a problem he'll throw you solutions root memory like...this happen so this is the solution.

PBL doctor might be better in communication and can handle the freak situations. Like when confronted with a problem that never has happen...some say the PBL doctor will figure it out faster or will try to figure it out doing different ways. The traditional doctor will try to go through what he knows first to find the problem...which can be longer

But like dunno maybe someone else will know. If no one answer..just google it..and there are like documents and papers about pbl vs traditonal written which is better or what not.

:confused:

was wondering, does somebody know if which of these schools use Problem-based learning method in their curriculum? UST, CIM, Fatima, FEU, ST. Luke's, San Beda, UP, St. Louis?
btw, why does St. Luke's take 5 years? :eek:
tnx! :D

UST used to have the Problem Based Curriculum. I belonged to UST Class 2006 - the 2nd (& last) batch to use the PBL method.

in PBL, we didn't have subjects, instead we had modules. each module incorporated all the subjects (from basics to clinicals) pertaining to that organ system. for example during our cardiovascular module, we learned on the anatomy, physio, biochem, histo, patho, pharma, medicine, surgery, physical diagnosis, etc. of everything and anything that pertains to the entire CV system. most of the time, we read/learned on our own during wednesdays since it was our 'day off' (imagine!). there were less lectures, lab sessions. instead we were immersed more on extensive case discussions 2x a week, skills laboratory sessions. the cases that we discussed were the most commonly encountered ones in actual clinical practice (like AMI, angina, PVD, to name a few). we are given the patient's problem/chief complaint then we work our way through our differential diagnoses, labs/ancillaries to rule in/out, arrive at a impression and finally manage (pharma and non-pharmacological). since that's the actual way patients come to you. thus, we read 4-5 books for just one case. the more references you had, the better. our lectures were called 'correlates' which tackled on topics that need to be emphasized. if we missed out on any topic, it was supplemented by sessions done during our free times.

thus, what i learned during my 1st year is different from what another 1st year (from a traditional school) has learned. we already learned about history taking and physical exam, OB-Gyne, Pediatrics, microbiology during our 1st year (subjects which are learned during 2nd year in a traditional curriculum) while we completed our gross anatomy, physiology by the end of 3rd yr.

learning is very fast paced but you manage your time (between studies and extra-curriculars like sports, watching movies).

St. Luke's medical schooling takes 5 years coz they included internship in their curriculum (and so does UP). other schools have only 4 years. you graduate and earn an 'MD' after clerkship (4th year) then you take your internship in your chosen hospital.

UST used to have the Problem Based Curriculum. I belonged to UST Class 2006 - the 2nd (& last) batch to use the PBL method.

i'd just like to ask if you know why PBL was abolished after your batch?

there was a change of dean when we were about to enter 2nd year. the new dean wanted an integrated curriculum. but since we started with PBL during our first year, it was hard for us to adapt to a new curriculum.

Was hoping to go to UP though my NMAT wasnt good enough- was even opting to delay for a year but getting accepted to medschool is perhaps a chance of a lifetime.

How different is UST (modified) PBL curriculum from the OSI curriculum and the curriculum UP had before OSI? They say that they are both (a mixture of Trad and) PBL- just a little modified (whatever that means, or if they are, by how many percent are such indicators used).

Sorry, I had to ask this- I just like frameworks, comparing which curriculum is better. The dilemma is that if the UP curriculum makes it stay in the top 1 spot of the boards, why do they have to change it to the OSI (currently in the second year of implementation targeted to their lower years, I think)? Isnt it a little risky for them to do so? Is there anything wrong or lacking with UST's curriculum which answers why it seldom topples off UP med (using the Medical Licensure Exam as indicator)? Otherwise what should one do to improve it (at least when it comes to studying)?

I guess am just asking, what things make the Thomasian doctor proud? Its hard for me to think of seeing that I have never been a Thomasian and Im just going to be one. I came from a very secular school and am sort of feeling insecure with those (especially my classmates) who passed UP med. Though I am not able to get that high enough a score in the NMAt, I want to make up to it by getting a high score in the MLE. Especially in the internship or clerkship years- I dont want to work with a doctor from UP who is going to insult my school. Is it perhaps karma in the sense that I used to do that? I cant help but feel a bit loyal to UP seeing that I took my pre med there- but UST after all is a great medical school. Just forgive the french but too bad its "second best" relative to UP.

Thanks for the possible inputs.

Was hoping to go to UP though my NMAT wasnt good enough- was even opting to delay for a year but getting accepted to medschool is perhaps a chance of a lifetime.

How different is UST (modified) PBL curriculum from the OSI curriculum and the curriculum UP had before OSI? They say that they are both (a mixture of Trad and) PBL- just a little modified (whatever that means, or if they are, by how many percent are such indicators used).

Sorry, I had to ask this- I just like frameworks, comparing which curriculum is better. The dilemma is that if the UP curriculum makes it stay in the top 1 spot of the boards, why do they have to change it to the OSI (currently in the second year of implementation targeted to their lower years, I think)? Isnt it a little risky for them to do so? Is there anything wrong or lacking with UST's curriculum which answers why it seldom topples off UP med (using the Medical Licensure Exam as indicator)? Otherwise what should one do to improve it (at least when it comes to studying)?

I guess am just asking, what things make the Thomasian doctor proud? Its hard for me to think of seeing that I have never been a Thomasian and Im just going to be one. I came from a very secular school and am sort of feeling insecure with those (especially my classmates) who passed UP med. Though I am not able to get that high enough a score in the NMAt, I want to make up to it by getting a high score in the MLE. Especially in the internship or clerkship years- I dont want to work with a doctor from UP who is going to insult my school. Is it perhaps karma in the sense that I used to do that? I cant help but feel a bit loyal to UP seeing that I took my pre med there- but UST after all is a great medical school. Just forgive the french but too bad its "second best" relative to UP.

comparing curriculum will not really matter anyhow specially with UST and UP. It all depends on the student on how he/she will exert effort to learn as much as he can. The reason why UP grads are usually on top is not because of the curriculum. Its simply because they attract the best college graduates and having good students means having good board exam performance. Plus the fact that they have to have strong ties with their province of origin where they will go back and practice and not crowd into metro manila where the supply of doctors is overwhelming.

Same thing goes with UST, the reason they had good performance in the board exam is because they have good student resources from the different science colleges in UST, as well as those coming in from UP who are likewise good students but didn't make it because of the VERY LIMITED number of slots available at UPMED.

If you are not sure about UST then you still have the option of not applying and wait out for UP med. Do not choose a "second" best school if thats the way you see it. If you want to study in another school, be sure that you will not regret being in a new school and not look back and think you should have been in UP.

I have worked with UP doctors and from what i have noticed they never looked at UST down, nor have they ever mentioned that UST graduates are second best.

i know for a fact that you are just being loyal to your school. But if you want to get into medicine and you were NOT accepted in your school of choice, you should decide where you want to go next and not look back thinking you got only into the "second" best and that its "karma". If you want to get into a program, you should believe in that program. 4 years to a lifetime of practice is a very long time to regret because of the notion you are only second best.

what made you say that a thomasian doctor is proud? aren't you jumping into conclusions eh ndi ka pa nga nag-uumpisa sa UST? have you talked/interacted with thomasian doctors in the hospital/clinical setting? i bet you haven't even met half of the faculty members.

and why are you insecure about your friends who got into UP med? maybe, their destiny/fate was to study at UP, yours was at UST. so what? bottomline is, you're all students and you wanna earn an MD degree someday. if you wanna work with them in the future, aspire to have your training at UP-PGH. nag-a-accept naman sila ng grads from other schools eh? but first things first, study well. if you ask other applicants (who didn't get into UST), they would love to be at your place coz they're confident with UST.

when it comes to patient care, ndi na nagiging issue pa ang medical school mo (or even the curriculum for that matter). no one will ever tell you "di mo alam yan kasi sa ganitong eskwelahan ka nang galing" or "ndi mo alam yan kc iba ang curriculum nyo sa amin". what's important is that you don't compromise your patient.

Count yourself lucky if you get in UST. There are some applicants who are very sad that they did not get in even with good grades and NMAT. Just try to do very well in med school and things will fall into place. I remember some pre-meds a few years ago talking about their honors and how to be one of the top students in UST med school. After one year of med school, he can barely survive the curriculum. Med school is hard wherever you take it.

i have friends who chose to take a year off to try again the following year. they're in PGH now. i agree with the poster earlier. what do you really want? i think each medschool promises a certain type of training, but it will all be in your hands once you're a med student. many can say entering medical school is a humbling experience.

UST isn't really bad... many UST PGIs i've met are very capable. they do great in the boards too. i think the only difference would be the tuition fee. but that won't be an issue if you can afford it. you must be worried about this because you're still being loyal to UP.

about the UP curriculum, i'm part of the first class to have it, the pioneer batch (or the "guinea pigs"). it will be on its fourth year of implementation this coming school year.

OSI stands for organ systems integration. the trad curriculum, i think, was purely didactics for 2 years, then 1 year didactics+clinics, 1 year didactics+wards, then internship. their plan for OSI is something like 2 years of didactics, 1 year out-patient clinics, 1 year purely wards, then internship.

OSI is also known as the Integrated Liberal Arts & Medicine (Intarmed) Curriculum. they say it was 20 years in the making, since the Intarmed program was started for fresh HS grads.

why UP chose to (quoted from a prof)"fix the engine, when it's working perfectly well"? the admin simply wanted to add more to what the school has been giving students --- a social and ethical consciousness, that hasn't been that emphasized with the traditional curriculum. :thumbup:

naturally, when you put new stuff in, you'd have to minimize others. i think the only flaw i see in OSI is the fact that we weren't very trained in the basics. there is a lot of clinical experience, but i think patho, microbio & para were a bit too rushed. :thumbdown:

i'm sure 2009 will be an important year for UP... because the boards alone can determine whether OSI could still work as well as traditional.

i really really hope it still does. ayokong bumagsak sa boards. :scared:

I spoke with them on the phone back in December. They said their curriculum is traditional, and they do not allow students to take rotations abroad :(.

There are two types of PBL, Horizontal and Vertical. Horizontal refers to integrating various subjects around a single concept. For example, instead of taking Biochem, Anatomy, Physiology, and Embryology separately, you will learn the chemistry, function, development, and parts of, say, the heart, in a single module. Vertical PBL refers to integrating information you've learned in the past to tackle a specific problem. So with Horizontal PBL you are talking about topics, with Vertical PBL you are talking about cases.

I came from a very secular school and am sort of feeling insecure with those (especially my classmates) who passed UP med. Though I am not able to get that high enough a score in the NMAt, I want to make up to it by getting a high score in the MLE. Especially in the internship or clerkship years- I dont want to work with a doctor from UP who is going to insult my school. Is it perhaps karma in the sense that I used to do that? I cant help but feel a bit loyal to UP seeing that I took my pre med there- but UST after all is a great medical school. Just forgive the french but too bad its "second best" relative to UP.

hehe, don't be too insecure that you were not admitted at UP and eventually will be getting into UST. yes, UP might be the best school in terms of board performance. no wonder, they admit only the best students and they have the best instructors.

but hey, UST isn't really that bad, actually it's also the best med school (also got good instructors and facilities). and not all the best students go to UP (the top 1 and top 2 in the aug 2006 physician licensure exam were thomasians). you'll see that there are a number of great med students in UST later on when class begins. what only makes it different from UP is the expensive tuition fee and the mixture of good, better, and best students. however, i think it's really up to you if you're going to be the good, the better, or the best (although genetic predisposition might also play a role, hehe).

regarding the curriculum, at ust you'll only be having hospital exposure during the second year. the first years are all focused on the basic sciences lectures and some clinical applications (hehe, that's why most thomasians are more proficient on theories).

and just take it easy in med. don't focus on getting to the top right away. medicine is really a different journey. take it one step at a time so you won't easily slip down the course.

Hi I'm a Physician Assistant in the United States and have been practicing since 2001 in Dermatology and cosmetic surgery. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a medical school in the Philippine that I may get into. I want to get it done quick. Also I think they would take my course work for PA school and rotations. Do they have distance learning programs like in carribian or mexico. I just want to get my MD don't want to do a residency. if its to much hassle with usa. open to any suggestions. :laugh:

Hi I'm a Physician Assistant in the United States and have been practicing since 2001 in Dermatology and cosmetic surgery. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a medical school in the Philippine that I may get into. I want to get it done quick. Also I think they would take my course work for PA school and rotations. Do they have distance learning programs like in carribian or mexico. I just want to get my MD don't want to do a residency. if its to much hassle with usa. open to any suggestions

--
1. No such thing as a distance learning program in medicine in the Philippines
2. You CAN NEVER get it (medicine) "done quickly".
3. Your PA Degree is not credited in Medicine. You'll have to repeat the subjects despite the similarities in the curricula.
4. Yes you can get an MD degree in the Philippines and NOT have to do a residency. The MD degree is conferred by the school/university and you will get it as soon as you complete 4 years of medical school.

Hi I'm a Physician Assistant in the United States and have been practicing since 2001 in Dermatology and cosmetic surgery. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a medical school in the Philippine that I may get into. I want to get it done quick. Also I think they would take my course work for PA school and rotations. Do they have distance learning programs like in carribian or mexico. I just want to get my MD don't want to do a residency. if its to much hassle with usa. open to any suggestions. :laugh:
Philippine medical schools are stricter than some Caribbean and Mexican med schools.
1. There's no shortcut or any distance education. You have to study in the country for at least 3-4 years.
2. They ALL require a Bachelors degree. Although as a PA, I assume you have a Bachelors degree BUT they would not credit any of your PA course. Some schools accept transfers and credits from OTHER MEDICAL schools.
3. All require NMAT (an exam similar in purpose to MCAT) but many schools are not strict with cutoff scores.

You might want to try applying at San Beda College of Medicine. You might have enough appropriate course units that can help you skip some of the basic sciences.