Curriculum differences between DO & MD schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never done a direct comparison of the differences in curriculum between DO and MD schools. Of course, DO schools require OMM courses, which MD schools do not offer. I have heard that in comparison, MD schools have more rigorous Biochem courses and Biostatistics. Is this true? What other differences are there?

Members don't see this ad.

coolness said:
I have never done a direct comparison of the differences in curriculum between DO and MD schools. Of course, DO schools require OMM courses, which MD schools do not offer. I have heard that in comparison, MD schools have more rigorous Biochem courses and Biostatistics. Is this true? What other differences are there?

Nope. In fact, sometimes the opposite is even true.

For example, I have compared my osteopathic school to an allopathic school in the same part of the country and the classes are exactly the same except for OMM, and my school has more clinical exposure in the first 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to MSUCOM, we have all of our basic science courses together. Our second year courses are separate, but for the most part taught by a lot of the same faculty. At MSU at least, there really is no difference.

UMDNJ-SOM shares some professors with UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson. In fact, before the Stratford campus was finished, SOM students took all of their basic science courses with RWJ students at Piscataway. The science material is the same but DO schools may have some added classes such as OMM and history of Osteopathy and Medicine, perhaps even an Osteopathic philosophy type class.

coolness said:

courses and rigor in both do and md schools vary from school to school. make sure you know a lot about the school you end up at. in the end, there is no substitute for hard work and we will all be physicians... it is really just a matter of preference. some md schools might offer opportunities to learn more about omm (I know mine does from time to time!!). -GOOD LUCK-