Curriculum styles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

since their websites are a mess, i figured i'd get answer faster by asking it here :p :

can you tell me which schools have PBL curriculum, and which have traditional lecture based (LB) one?

thanks a bunch!!

Members don't see this ad.

UL is PBL (with supplemental lectures).

The rest have traditional style, though I've heard there is some PBL woven into at least RSCI.

Members don't see this ad :)
UL = University of Limerick

I believe UCC and UCD also have some form of PBL although not as extensive as UL.

thx.

with PBL, you don't have lectures (or very minimal lectures), right? you are given cases to work on with a group.
i'm not sure if PBL is for me because it requires a lot of self-directed learning, and i'm afraid that i won't end up with a good base of knowledge compared to those in LB curriculum...

how do you feel about the curriculum so far?

thx.

with PBL, you don't have lectures (or very minimal lectures), right? you are given cases to work on with a group.
i'm not sure if PBL is for me because it requires a lot of self-directed learning, and i'm afraid that i won't end up with a good base of knowledge compared to those in LB curriculum...

how do you feel about the curriculum so far?

I've actually asked this question to doctors and they told me the pbl people they've come across have a better knowledge base and better clinical performance (it was something I was concerned about too).

This summer I was told after first year that my competency was up to standard with clerkship years and they were surprised at how much I knew after first year. Sold.

That said, I love pbl learning and I'm very hands on and self directed. I would learn next to nothing in lectures only so you need to know your style as well.

We have anywhere from 3-8 hrs of extra lectures per week on top of PBL sessions and clinical skills sessions.

Does anyone know whether the AB schools and SGUL grade on a Pass/Fail or letter-grade?

I think for all the schools in Ireland it's Pass / Fail for first two years, and graded the last two years.

Reactions: 1 user