Cush Aneshtesiology progrma in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From grapevine, NW gas residents seem to be very busy but I'm not sure how happy are the residents. Pls note that I am not a gas resident. I'm applying for gas this year and the info was obtained just from me asking non-NW gas residents about programs in chicago. Would a NW gas resident please respond? Thanks.
 
the ones i talked to last night at the pre-interview dinner weren't terribly thrilled and definitely felt worked. that said, they were looking forward to graduating in a couple years and being able to say that they trained at northwestern.

coming from UIC, i would say that the residents there are overall happy. the current CBY-1/PGY-1 class is a little inbred, as a lot of my classmates decided to stay at UIC. U of C also seemed like a sweet deal with happy residents and i ranked them as my #1 chicago program.
 
overall happiness , call schedule and non malignant faculty..ya cant beat UIC
 
The residents at Illinois Masonic are a happy bunch. Non-malignant work hours, attendings, etc. The chairman of the department is very well known in anesthesia circles and has written numerous textbooks. One of the graduating residents last year had the 3rd highest board score in the entire country. Another resident obtained a Stanford Pain fellowship. The hospital itself is in a nice area of Chicago, Lincoln Park. Last year's graduating class all were offered great private practice jobs. One will be starting a critical care fellowship at University of Chicago. I would most definitely check out this program!
 
drlee said:
The residents at Illinois Masonic are a happy bunch. Non-malignant work hours, attendings, etc. The chairman of the department is very well known in anesthesia circles and has written numerous textbooks. One of the graduating residents last year had the 3rd highest board score in the entire country. Another resident obtained a Stanford Pain fellowship. The hospital itself is in a nice area of Chicago, Lincoln Park. Last year's graduating class all were offered great private practice jobs. One will be starting a critical care fellowship at University of Chicago. I would most definitely check out this program!


Lots of FMGs if that is important to you.
 
Yes, this is exactly the kind of thread that I am talking about. Residents seeking the "cush" residency locations in a "cush" specialty. No mention of a "good" training program. No mention of a program that will teach you good patient management, but lots of talk about the easiest program in terms of lifestyle. Good luck to you finding the easiest program out there.
 
crna2004 said:
Yes, this is exactly the kind of thread that I am talking about. Residents seeking the "cush" residency locations in a "cush" specialty. No mention of a "good" training program. No mention of a program that will teach you good patient management, but lots of talk about the easiest program in terms of lifestyle. Good luck to you finding the easiest program out there.

Pff haha. I needed a good laugh. Fortunately there is a measure for lifestyle and people are interested in this aspect. Just because someone refers to a residency as cush that doesn't mean its easy. Residency is residency and it is still very very time consuming.

Maybe if you went through brutal post grad training after 4 years of medical school and 4 years of college you would be able to commiserate and sympathize. Oh well.

Vent.
 
crna2004 said:
Yes, this is exactly the kind of thread that I am talking about. Residents seeking the "cush" residency locations in a "cush" specialty. No mention of a "good" training program. No mention of a program that will teach you good patient management, but lots of talk about the easiest program in terms of lifestyle. Good luck to you finding the easiest program out there.

As you must know, this is a discussion forum for (aspiring) medical students/residents. Until you take your MCATs (if you know what they are), and do well enough to hold ground in this arena, post your BS elsewhere...You don't belong here. As Vent stated, you have no idea what kind of sacrifices and discipline it takes to get to, and go through residency. The only reason you are on this forum is because you feel threatened, and you are trying to scare away those who truly enjoy this field because they, unlike you, probably know how and why medications work, and all the other factors that come into play in using a medication. That knowledge makes it a fun, and rewarding field.
I want to say that you probably don't even know simple mechanisms 😕 ...I bet you wouldn't even know how and at what levels opioids work. You just know how much to give, what numbers to look for and that they have something to do with pain. Any first year resident would have a field day with YOU, in testing what you REALLY know. Maybe even a medical student would know more than you. I would say those things and more, but I'm holding back, because, there are actually some intelligent crna's out there, and you're not one of them. I can tell by the way you bitterly write your comments that you have issues...you probably tried to get into med school, failed, and are now resentful of those who have. You have no basis for any of your comments, which makes you an outcast in a field you think you understand. You're just a drug "pusher"...and a programmed robot who just knows how to do things. In any case, you're more than welcome in my field...I can bill for more rooms :meanie:
 
drfeelgood76 said:
As you must know, this is a discussion forum for (aspiring) medical students/residents. Until you take your MCATs (if you know what they are), and do well enough to hold ground in this arena, post your BS elsewhere...You don't belong here. As Vent stated, you have no idea what kind of sacrifices and discipline it takes to get to, and go through residency. The only reason you are on this forum is because you feel threatened, and you are trying to scare away those who truly enjoy this field because they, unlike you, probably know how and why medications work, and all the other factors that come into play in using a medication. That knowledge makes it a fun, and rewarding field.
I want to say that you probably don't even know simple mechanisms 😕 ...I bet you wouldn't even know how and at what levels opioids work. You just know how much to give, what numbers to look for and that they have something to do with pain. Any first year resident would have a field day with YOU, in testing what you REALLY know. Maybe even a medical student would know more than you. I would say those things and more, but I'm holding back, because, there are actually some intelligent crna's out there, and you're not one of them. I can tell by the way you bitterly write your comments that you have issues...you probably tried to get into med school, failed, and are now resentful of those who have. You have no basis for any of your comments, which makes you an outcast in a field you think you understand. You're just a drug "pusher"...and a programmed robot who just knows how to do things. In any case, you're more than welcome in my field...I can bill for more rooms :meanie:

Gee, you seem to know an awful lot about me. How is that possible? In reality, you've never met me, nor do you know anything about me. Nothing you wrote above is true - not a single thing. Read my previous posts. I have never mocked the knowledge of MDAs, nor have I ever claimed to be their equal. It is only people like you that resort to childish and immature name-calling. Try to grow up and make an adult arguement.