CUSM vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnanimousUnity

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m having a hard time choosing here. I’m most interested in Rads, ortho, ENT, etc. stuff that are a little more competitive unfortunately…

CUSM;
- Very close to family
- Get to stay in CA and maybe do residency here
- gives a lot of freedom to students
- P/F grading
- 60k+ living expenses/yr

- Terrible match-list?

SLU:
- far from family
- not many match in CA
- expensive ( I got a 120k) scholarship bringing the cost to about 90k/yr overall
- not sure if it is true P/F here

- better matchlist
- more research opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

SLU:
- far from family
- not many match in CA
- expensive ( I got a 120k) scholarship bringing the cost to about 90k/yr overall
Are you sure about this?

SLU probably costs 90k/yr without any scholarships. With what you got, it should be the same price as CUSM now.

Are you sure about this?

SLU probably costs 90k/yr without any scholarships. With what you got, it should be the same price as CUSM now.
I added their suggested cost of living. But yes it is essentially the same cost after the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will probably want to go to SLU then if you are interested in competitive specialities. Matching for those is tougher as a whole, so do not expect to match back to CA.

You will probably want to go to SLU then if you are interested in competitive specialities. Matching for those is tougher as a whole, so do not expect to match back to CA.
Does it really make a big difference where you go to medical school? Or is it more about what you do while you’re in school.

I would really like to stay in CA if possible, but I don’t want it to make matching into any speciality impossible by staying

Does it really make a big difference where you go to medical school? Or is it more about what you do while you’re in school.

I would really like to stay in CA if possible, but I don’t want it to make matching into any speciality impossible by staying
It helps if your school has home programs in those specialities since they usually take at least one of their own students. That’s something you should look into.