cutoff score in each section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobby Fischer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hearing rumblings of a "cutoff point" where some posters have described "most dental schools" requiring at least above a certain score in each section.

Where do I go to find out more details about this?

I hear 17 and/or 16 but who is to say except some official source?

Members don't see this ad.

I've spoken to a few Admissions Officers and they really want to see 20s across the board except in Math and PAT in which they are more lenient.

They would rather see 20s in Bio, Chem, OChem, RC than for example, 22s in Bio, Chem, but 18 in OChem.

In fact, one Director of Admissions told me that a 19 in one of the above mentioned critical four subjects would elicit a scrutiny of your transcript which can't be good for most applicants.

A 16/17 will not get you into dental school unless you are a legacy with serious connections IMHO.

I've spoken to a few Admissions Officers and they really want to see 20s across the board except in Math and PAT in which they are more lenient.

They would rather see 20s in Bio, Chem, OChem, RC than for example, 22s in Bio, Chem, but 18 in OChem.

In fact, one Director of Admissions told me that a 19 in one of the above mentioned critical four subjects would elicit a scrutiny of your transcript which can't be good for most applicants.

A 16/17 will not get you into dental school unless you are a legacy with serious connections IMHO.

Thank you. Good information.

what dental school said this?

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Especially given that the total science average of some schools isn't 20. I think 17 is about as low as you should be willing to keep in any important section (i.e. anything other than QR) without retaking.