Cutoff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Jarry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do dental schools have minimum grades for each section of the DAT? I took my test yesterday and recieved:

PA 22
QR 15:scared:
RC 22
Bio 18
Chem 19
Orgo 20

TS 19
AA 19

Do you think I'm going to have to retake the DAT just because of the math section? I am applying to NYU, BU, UOP, Temple, ASDOH, Nova, Columbia, Case, VCU, Michigan, Maryland and tufts.

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Granted, you might get automatically rejected at a couple of schools because of cutoffs, but I DEFINITELY wouldn't retake this far in the game. People on this board will probably tell you to retake or to be prepared for a bunch of rejections, but you need to remember three things:
(1) SDN represents a very small pool of applicants, most of which are substantially above the average applicant.
(2) Most schools put the most scrutiny on AA/TS/PAT before QR.
(3) Remember: If you were to retake, many schools wouldn't review your application until the retaken score is in your file. If you take into account the time it will take to re-examine, process your scores, and get them to each of the schools-- you are looking at the middle of September, at minimum, before they even review your file for secondaries/supplemental. Not worth it in my opinoin. Great job on your scores, you should be proud!

I have very similiar scores and when i called UOP they suggested a retake, but i dont think i am. But with that said me and you are pretty much out of the race for UOP they have 17 cutoff(i got 15QR also) But most others i think were OK( I hope)

Members don't see this ad :)
As the previous poster stated, there is apparently a 17 cutoff at UoP-- but it is NOT strictly enforced. I have two friends that applied last cycle that I went to college with who both had below 17's on QR (one a 15 and one a 13) and they were both accepted to UoP this past year. One is attending and the other has chosen another school. Also, search predents-- there, you will find several individuals who have applied over the past year (as a matter of fact, a huge number) with QR below 17 who have been accepted.

yea my friend also got in with 15 QR and 19 AA...most schools cutoff are 17s, but some schools have cutoff 16. i think QR is the least important one and doesnt affect our acceptance that much.

If I was in your shoes, I would not retake at this point, and I would apply this cycle. I would only retake if I didn't get in somewhere this cycle.

I think you will get in to some schools, but others will have a problem with the 15. Your scores on all sections but QR are quite good! QR is usually considered the least important section.

Check out predents.com - there are people with stats similar to yours who got into some of those schools last year. Just by looking quickly, I see someone at Pacific and at BU with a 15 on QR, and I'm sure it's also the case at some of those other schools. Are you ok with going anywhere or is there one specific school you really want to attend? Good luck!

First attempt:

PAT 14
QR 15
RC 14
BIO 14
GC 18
OC 18
DAT AA: 16
DAT TS: 16

Second attempt: Aug 4th, 2009

PAT 13 ::
QR 13 was drained in the end....out of time
RC 17
BIO 18
GC 18
OC 20
DAT AA: 17
DAT TS: 18

GPA OVERALL 3.56

GPA SCIENCE 3.52

I am not going to take any more I am fed up with this...Help me

I applied to NYU, Temple. TUFTS, Marquette, Midwestern...etc what are the shots?

I applied in begining of June..I need your opinions and what chances I get..like which schools i most likely will be close to.

Thanks (I'm worried)

My number one school is NYU so hopefully they will overlook the 15, but I am willing to go to any of the 12 I applied to. How heavily do schools weigh PAT? I'm hoping the 22 I got will maybe make them overlook that damn 15. I can't believe the one section I felt I didnt really need to worry about (I felt I was good enough in math to wing it) may end up f*cking me over