CV for Research - What do I put on it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreday710

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I contacted a director of a integrative medicine, and she offered to send my CV to the doctors currently doing research on these types of studies in her department. I have two years of clinical research assisting, both internships, but I have never done bench work and was not a science major. (philosophy) I was wondering if I should just list my research internships on a CV or add non-science jobs or any other information (upper level biology classes). I am imagining that most of this integrative research will be clinical. Any help appreciated on how to format the CV in order to get some experience in the type of research I hope to one day conduct. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know what type and area of research you will be conducting, or is the director just sending your CV to a bunch of different researchers? In either case, I would highlight your research experience in your CV by first listing the relevant technical and interpersonal skills you've acquired through your internships (i.e. listing the skills under "Skills Summary"), followed by first your two internships, your educations, and any other work/ECs/volunteer experience you deem relevant. Some skills you could highlight include statistical analysis, literature search, communication skills (e.g. through enrolling patients into clinical studies), database management, computer skills (any stats software, database software, programming, etc.) Make sure you include a specific example to back up your skills (just as you would when writing up your med school apps). You could also attach a cover letter explaining your interests in the research area to each researcher.

Solid advice above. I would just add to google "medical student cv" as OSU, UCSF and UNC have some great examples to work off of. The type of CV you need to score a research gig is somewhere between that and a traditional job resume, as described above. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user