CV question: Powerpoint presentation = oral presentation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

striders02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm unsure of how to describe a research presentation I gave. I did research in a hospital summer student program, and at the end of the summer gave a ~15 minute talk + powerpoint presentation during the program's 'summer student research day'. The audience was other summer students and their PIs (and some hospital staff who came for the free lunch!), ~40 people total

Should I describe this as an oral presentation on my CV? Or is some other terminology (eg PowerPoint presentation) preferred?

Thanks for dealing with my neuroticism <3

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn’t list the presentation at all on my CV.

I would describe the research experience and in that description possibly mention that it culminated in a 15 minute presentation to program leadership in a “Research Experiences” portion of the CV.

Reactions: 2 users
Got it, thank you! So that I have a better sense for the future, what's the 'threshold' above which one should include a presentation as a standalone entry on their CV? In other words, what is the minimum magnitude/profile of a presentation that warrants giving it its own CV entry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm unsure of how to describe a research presentation I gave. I did research in a hospital summer student program, and at the end of the summer gave a ~15 minute talk + powerpoint presentation during the program's 'summer student research day'. The audience was other summer students and their PIs (and some hospital staff who came for the free lunch!), ~40 people total

Should I describe this as an oral presentation on my CV? Or is some other terminology (eg PowerPoint presentation) preferred?

Thanks for dealing with my neuroticism <3
Don't bother.

Got it, thank you! So that I have a better sense for the future, what's the 'threshold' above which one should include a presentation as a standalone entry on their CV? In other words, what is the minimum magnitude/profile of a presentation that warrants giving it its own CV entry?

National and international presentations