CVS CSI program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insidepharms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone share how this program works? What drugs are included? How much incentive do you get if you increase your generic subs rate?

Members don't see this ad.

No incentives, its required (its now part of SSS and therefore related to bonuses though). It simply prints out an additional list to make phone calls. How it works isn't exactly known, but it looks for people who have larger co-pay on brand name drugs and there is a similar generic medication available (example Lipitor VS Simvastatin).

What happens is you first call patient, explain their brand drug vs generic drug benefits and costs, if given the okay, followup with the doctor and ask to change the medication. If approved, on the next fill use the newly prescribed generic.

Outcome: CVS and other pharmacies bank off of generics because the markup is between 50-200% and up whereas brand are 5-25%. Customer also "benefits" from a cheaper copay.

does it apply to rx2000 stores? or how do we go
about updating the status? it will be something
i'll have to deal with in two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
It simply prints out an additional list to make phone calls. .

NO. It prints a list of Rx's to flag..you flag them..customer comes to pick them up..the PHARMACIST goes to talk to the customer (at drive thru if necessary) and explains that there is an similar drug available for cheaper, discusses benefits of switching, cost savings, etc...patient says yes or no. Then you fax dr for new Rx if patient says yes and update it in the CSI software. On the next fill, the patient gets the cheaper med..or on that particular fill if so desired (resulting in refund, RTS, and a new fill..more work, yay!)

The program had bugs the FIRST DAY and was suggesting drugs that were NOT similar. CVS wouldn't even accept any more complaints because they had already had so many..CSI, a screwed up notion from day one..LITERALLY! :thumbdown:

CSI Central has been taken offline for us since launch day.

I have a feeling that this program is going to just create conflict with doctors and the pharmacy. I image getting many phone calls along the lines of "Who are you to tell me what to prescribe to my patient?"

I remember CVS trying something like this a few years ago, sending faxes to the doctors to ask them to switch to a generic drug. A few weeks later we received information that the program was being placed on hold and further evaluated due to input from local doctors.

I remember CVS trying something like this a few years ago, sending faxes to the doctors to ask them to switch to a generic drug. A few weeks later we received information that the program was being placed on hold and further evaluated due to input from local doctors.

NYC stores still send those faxes. I've never really known what to do with the copy the MD faxes back.....even if the doc is ok with generic, the patient flips out. They usually just go in the trash.

NO. It prints a list of Rx's to flag..you flag them..customer comes to pick them up..the PHARMACIST goes to talk to the customer (at drive thru if necessary) and explains that there is an similar drug available for cheaper, discusses benefits of switching, cost savings, etc...patient says yes or no. Then you fax dr for new Rx if patient says yes and update it in the CSI software. On the next fill, the patient gets the cheaper med..or on that particular fill if so desired (resulting in refund, RTS, and a new fill..more work, yay!)

The program had bugs the FIRST DAY and was suggesting drugs that were NOT similar. CVS wouldn't even accept any more complaints because they had already had so many..CSI, a screwed up notion from day one..LITERALLY! :thumbdown:

Haha i quit CVS the day it rolled out, but the day before our DM stopped by and mentioned it'd be a phone list... his mistake.

NYC stores still send those faxes. I've never really known what to do with the copy the MD faxes back.....even if the doc is ok with generic, the patient flips out. They usually just go in the trash.

Haha same here. And they are not really prescriptions so I can't really put them on hold.

Can someone please provide some examples of drugs within the same therapeutic class that are in the CSI program? I know someone mentioned simvastatin and Lipitor, but lipitor now has a generic...any more examples?

Can someone please provide some examples of drugs within the same therapeutic class that are in the CSI program? I know someone mentioned simvastatin and Lipitor, but lipitor now has a generic...any more examples?
There are tons of example Aciphex to omeprazole or generic protonix. Hyzaar to generic Cozaar. I have seen Vytorin on the list as well as Glumetza- even though Glumetza therapeutically isn't the same as switching them to metformin but I have seen that on CSI- the list is endless.

Can someone share how this program works? What drugs are included? How much incentive do you get if you increase your generic subs rate?

"How much Incentive".........hahahhahahah. It's late and I'm having trouble sleeping. Maybe because I know that the doom and horrid nightmare of CVS awaits me upon my awakening. This made my night though. I can give you a bit of advice: your only "incentive" while working along side your minimum wage, careless, counterpart "co-workers" at CVS is the persistent realization that if you screw up, if you make even 1 mistake, they will fire you in 2 seconds, without hesitation.

The incentives in the long run can be seen in your bonus- but you do know that generics are good for CVS, the customer and the insurance company as a whole there's no debating that issue. I don't know how much you know about P and L are gross margin, but if you are at a CVS store and you were tons of brand medications with available generics your Gross Margin would be horrible- you make very little off Brand name drugs.

The incentives in the long run can be seen in your bonus- but you do know that generics are good for CVS, the customer and the insurance company as a whole there's no debating that issue. I don't know how much you know about P and L are gross margin, but if you are at a CVS store and you were tons of brand medications with available generics your Gross Margin would be horrible- you make very little off Brand name drugs.

In terms of incentives, CVS also gets some pretty massive kickbacks from insurance companies for converting people.

Speaking of bonuses, that is one of the company's largest faults. Pharmacists have almost no incentive to drive profit as even receiving the max bonus as a PIC you are only getting approx 10% of base salary. Last year my store increased scripts above the 10% over budget max for bonus, thus I actually have incentive to not go over this number as it makes my budget that much higher for next year.

In terms of incentives, CVS also gets some pretty massive kickbacks from insurance companies for converting people.

Speaking of bonuses, that is one of the company's largest faults. Pharmacists have almost no incentive to drive profit as even receiving the max bonus as a PIC you are only getting approx 10% of base salary. Last year my store increased scripts above the 10% over budget max for bonus, thus I actually have incentive to not go over this number as it makes my budget that much higher for next year.
You are correct- what really hurts is i increased scripts and sales from last year yet I received less overall tech hours- what would be any P.I.C's incentive to increase sales if the end results means less tech hours?