cvs exodus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CVS near my store had all their pharmacist and techs quit supposedly 2 months ago because of budget cuts, and they have been there for years! now I get people coming in to my store every week to transfer because it's a mess at that CVS store... I hope it continues lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am done today with this chain and I start my new job tomorrow. My boss was in yesterday asking for me to help tomorrow, our district has 6 holes tomorrow. Sorry, not my problem. Definitely a lot of districts hurting right now.
I was always told how lucky I am to work for C$$. That no one pays better and has the benefits. I found an independent that pays the same but closes at 7 and is closed Sundays. There are great opportunities away from C$$. Find them and take them!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My district is similar, but mostly with the support staff. Techs and a small amount of Rph are leaving for other jobs.

It doesn't matter how great of an Rph you are when you only have 2 techs at a 2000+ script/wk store with a drive thru. All your techs will be at pickup/drive thru/drop off and no filling will be done.

Last edited:
OK, you get 4 weeks' vacation a year. Is it really worth putting yourself through :flame: the other 48 weeks?

Reactions: 1 user
Finished my eighth book tonight. Come on over to Walgreens, life is great.

2 of my friends quit CVS this same week. one was a new grad, the other a long time PIC.

There were 3 pharmacists who quit at a CVS pharmacy in my house. I do not work at CVS.

And that is why you instantly get put on hold if you try that at my store, I make sure it takes longer when people try that stuff.

LOL, if I call the patient line, MD line, and every other line but keep getting put on insta-hold, I just call the front store manager, get the pharmacy fax #, and send over the transfer request with the text of the new Texas law that requires transfers be completed within 4 hours of request.

LOL, if I call the patient line, MD line, and every other line but keep getting put on insta-hold, I just call the front store manager, get the pharmacy fax #, and send over the transfer request with the text of the new Texas law that requires transfers be completed within 4 hours of request.

Call on the regular line and I will pick up as fast as I can (generally < 1 min) but if you are calling for a copy you need to understand that you are not more important than my customers and attempting to skip the line will get you put on the absolute bottom of the to-do list, just under scratching my @$$.

Reactions: 3 users
Patients or spanish patients that call the Dr line I put you back on hold or I hang up on you depending on how I feel lol. I pick up the Dr line instantly. I don't really mind other pharmacies calling the Dr line for a copy. But i've had instances where i'm giving a copy right away but when i call the same pharmacy i'm on hold forever so I give them the same treatment.

For every one Nate Robinson there are 999 abused and miserable CVS pharmacists!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if CVS has hiring requirements/restrictions? For example, at walmart, they will not hire you if you have a conviction in your past, got in trouble with the board, diverted, etc...

Don't you know their motto? "Give me your convicted, your reprimanded, your burned out masses."

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know if CVS has hiring requirements/restrictions? For example, at walmart, they will not hire you if you have a conviction in your past, got in trouble with the board, diverted, etc...

I think that's most companies.

Reactions: 1 users
I just want to revive this thread because CVS is becoming worse.....In my district, they are rolling out a new metric/pilot program where 40% of our scripts must be waiters. Also, my supervisor has been a real pain my butt lately cause we've literally lost every technician we've had in my store and it's getting worse and due to me having a completely new staff my store's numbers have slipped.....and my supervisor wrote me up because of that.
On top of that in my district, they are threatening every store that the would have to go to weekly UNPAID meetings if they go over on hours even by 1 hour. Also, my supervisor has been denying my vacations and my switch request with my partner for god knows what reason and I have my sisters graduation to go to and they are literally trying to prevent me from going, that probably was the last straw for me. I just want to bring to light the crap hole CVS is to work for and probably on the fast track to the last company any self-respecting pharmacist should work for...I will be putting in my 2 weeks notice soon because I've had it and I've found a position elsewhere and I can't wait to be out of CVSHELL any faster.

Reactions: 6 users
You just made a good decision , door to bright future and peaceful life not exactly but it won't be chaotic and depressing
I did same,I am happy inspite of earning 18$/hr less than what I was getting there.
Don't regret.But don't burn bridges,Just let your sup know you liked working with them and at this present moment you need a break and would like to join again.

Try outside cvs it's more rewarding and fulfilling jobs

Good luck!!!

Yes, sir I am going to quit in a civil manner and say "I enjoyed my time with CVS but at this time I would like to pursue another career path" or some bs to that effect...lol. I'm over it if you can't tell...I'm not angry I just don't believe how CVS gets away with so much wrong and the BOP does nothing about it.... Oh well I plan to burn no bridges I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking towards CVS for employment be weary it's getting darker in there than ever and I used to enjoy my job and after 5 years with CVS, I think I've hit my breaking point.

Edit: Anyone know a good way I can use up my vacation time before putting in my notice.....They keep denying my vacation time so I need to figure out a way to use it up.

Last edited:
Please consult an attorney. Depending on your state law, vacation is an earned benefit that cannot be taken away. At CVS you earn the benefit throughout the year. You should have 5/12 of your vacation less any time you already used and they should pay that out when you leave.....

Yes, sir I am going to quit in a civil manner and say "I enjoyed my time with CVS but at this time I would like to pursue another career path" or some bs to that effect...lol. I'm over it if you can't tell...I'm not angry I just don't believe how CVS gets away with so much wrong and the BOP does nothing about it.... Oh well I plan to burn no bridges I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking towards CVS for employment be weary it's getting darker in there than ever and I used to enjoy my job and after 5 years with CVS, I think I've hit my breaking point.

Edit: Anyone know a good way I can use up my vacation time before putting in my notice.....They keep denying my vacation time so I need to figure out a way to use it up.
Switch days with your staff and put Vacation hours in Work Brain. Use up to 12 hours at a time if not more. Switch a couple days and thats 24 hours right there you use up.

Where exactly is the workbrain because i'm going to have to go that route.....

Sounds like they are either trying to get you to quit or know you're leaving.

I'm sorry you have to go through something like this. I have been a intern for CVS since my first year in pharm school in 2011 and have been a pharmacist for a few years. We are one of the best districts in our region and top 25 in the nation....I'm saying that bc our store usually goes over by hours by 15-20 a month or so. Theres never been an issue about it and our DM/Sup hardly bug us.

I just wanted to comment because even though we do get ****ty tech hours, everything else is pretty good w/ my experience so far.

I hope you have a better experience in your new job.

I'm sorry you have to go through something like this. I have been a intern for CVS since my first year in pharm school in 2011 and have been a pharmacist for a few years. We are one of the best districts in our region and top 25 in the nation....I'm saying that bc our store usually goes over by hours by 15-20 a month or so. Theres never been an issue about it and our DM/Sup hardly bug us.

I just wanted to comment because even though we do get ****ty tech hours, everything else is pretty good w/ my experience so far.

Yeah i'm sure it's one or the other as far as reasoning goes but I don't mind at this point. We were the top store in my district last year it was just this year our scores fell and that was due to my store losing nearly all of our techs and my staff pharmacist ending up in the hospital for the entire month of January and instead of saying hey good job bringing the store back and getting the scores up they slapped me in the face with a write up and that was it for me. I went home and applied to every job I could find and have landed 3 interviews and one job offer that I will be accepting. CVS can go fix their own problems when I leave because my idiot Supervisor has no clue how much I do in the pharmacy.....including scheduling and inventory. Good luck teaching all the new techs and my staff pharmacist all that in 2 weeks.

What State you in? I go over a bit as well but thats because my store is 110 demand pharmacist and we only use 85 on avg because no coverage so I just convert it to extra techs. We're a 4.2 YTD on MSH so maybe thats why my sup doesn't care.

CVS in my experience is pure evil. Our supervisor would make me go out to the isles and sell flu shots! And, if I didn't meet my numbers, he would threaten me to go train across town for a couple of days at a store that is at least an 1.5 hour drive!

Total BS to me. I ran out as soon as I was hired at a hospital.

Good for you for quitting. Good pharmacists should not tolerate that kind of treatment. Let that manager keep all the incompetent mediocre pharmacists with low self esteem. There are good managers at CVS but your manager is not one of them. And unfortunately this company encourages their managers to blindly write up people for failing to meet impossible goals. That is not the solution and the good managers know better.

Reactions: 3 users
Good for you for quitting. Good pharmacists should not tolerate that kind of treatment. Let that manager keep all the incompetent mediocre pharmacists with low self esteem. There are good managers at CVS but your manager is not one of them. And unfortunately this company encourages their managers to blindly write up people for failing to meet impossible goals. That is not the solution and the good managers know better.

Thank You guys for all the support I am gonna submit my 2 weeks this week and then I shall be liberated from this evil corporation. They are denying my vacations right now so im not even gonna hold my breath trying to get those hours....unless someone knows a good way to get them to cash those out....can i go into myleave on hr and submit a personal leave of absence for a week?

They are denying my vacations right now so im not even gonna hold my breath trying to get those hours....unless someone knows a good way to get them to cash those out....

its worth a try to request FMLA due to stress/anxiety from work. then they are forced to give u your remaining vacation hours, PTO, and sick days.. see if it works.

its worth a try to request FMLA due to stress/anxiety from work. then they are forced to give u your remaining vacation hours, PTO, and sick days.. see if it works.

I was actually thinking about calling hr today and doing that

Hey does any cvs vet here know how to go about submitting your personal leave of absence? Can I just submit it under myleave or should I call hr?

ps exercise and sell any stock options if you have any that are of value otherwise they will be lost within a few days of termination

Quit CVS five years ago for hospital. Too many 16-17 hour days due to 2-3 hours off the clock. I truly cannot imagine how worse the culture is today.