CVS hiring freeze?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whereismynorco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Does anyone know about hiring freeze in CVS or target? I talked to few people and all said they are in hiring freeze currently. Any idea when it will end or any detail?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed with Target recently, they did talk about an interview/hiring freeze, starting at around Thanksgiving. No mention of the duration though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Target is on a hiring freeze as of 12/1/15.

CVS I'm not sure about but I'd imagine they are pretty similar.

That's odd. All my friends graduating this coming may all got job offers from CVS to be staff pharmacists.

(Seems like their only qualification was to have a pulse--some have never done retail before).

That's odd. All my friends graduating this coming may all got job offers from CVS to be staff pharmacists.

(Seems like their only qualification was to have a pulse--some have never done retail before).

i call bull**** on this.

Reactions: 1 user
i call bull**** on this.

Actually, I'm one of those dudes who managed to get an offer from CVS for staff position, despite minimal retail experience.

You can have a freeze on corporate hiring and it is common near the end of the fiscal year. There can never be a true nationwide hiring freeze at retail because stores always need to be staffed and there is always turnover. Sounds like there are some geographic pockets that have displaced overnight pharmacists to absorb which appears similar to a hiring freeze.

i call bull**** on this.

Yeah, I didn't believe it either. I asked which store they would be staffing and they told me I giggled because it's all the high volume stores with large Medicaid populations. Good luck to them, I'm sure they'll be on the job hunt a few months after starting that...

Yeah, I didn't believe it either. I asked which store they would be staffing and they told me I giggled because it's all the high volume stores with large Medicaid populations. Good luck to them, I'm sure they'll be on the job hunt a few months after starting that...

The location(s)/patient base may be crappier than some, but realistically, what else are new grads gonna do? Especially those with little retail experience for leverage? It's not like we have much choice. I'm thankful that i was able to get a full time position in a relatively inexpensive area of my home state for a high hourly wage + great benefits. You take the mediocre job now, get some experience under your belt, then go after the bigger fish.

Retail has high turnover

The location(s)/patient base may be crappier than some, but realistically, what else are new grads gonna do? Especially those with little retail experience for leverage? It's not like we have much choice. I'm thankful that i was able to get a full time position in a relatively inexpensive area of my home state for a high hourly wage + great benefits. You take the mediocre job now, get some experience under your belt, then go after the bigger fish.

That's the problem with retail, you will never have leverage no matter how long you work. You can be replaced on the cheap (especially once you've got some vacation accrued.) And any leverage you have can't be used to bargain for a cush store. If you are good at running a problem store, a smart DM will put you in the trenches.

That's the problem with retail, you will never have leverage no matter how long you work. You can be replaced on the cheap (especially once you've got some vacation accrued.) And any leverage you have can't be used to bargain for a cush store. If you are good at running a problem store, a smart DM will put you in the trenches.
And you can solve problem stores and turn that store into the way you want it...

What makes a store good or bad is the staff and while hard, once you get the right team... Life is easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
And you can solve problem stores and turn that store into the way you want it...

What makes a store good or bad is the staff and while hard, once you get the right team... Life is easier.

This is very true. I much preferred the store where we did 500+ with 2 pharmacists then the store where I would do 180 with just myself.

Totally agree with you, IF you can get the right staff. My experience was that the good ones were always smart enough to realize it was ****ty job and then find a better one.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree with you, IF you can get the right staff. My experience was that the good ones were always smart enough to realize it was ****ty job and then find a better one.

For real, who the hell wants that kind of stress all their lives for 4o years.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, around where I am (philadelphia area), hours were cut down considerably this year, as we now open an hour later and close an hour earlier.
Floaters seem to be desperate for hours now as it is.

Last edited:
Well, around where I am (philadelphia area), hours were cut down considerably this year, as we now open an hour later and close an hour earlier.
Floaters seem to be desperate for hours now as it is.

From my experience, most floaters are bad. To that, I say I'm glad that they are suffering. If they think they are not responsible for anything, and don't want a store with the responsibilities, then they put themselves into this liability of not being needed.

The grass always seems to be better at the other side except when they are not...

And to the good floaters, I applaude you. You will always be needed and most likely will get your hours if not more, and most likely can get a store if you wanted to.

From my experience, most floaters are bad. To that, I say I'm glad that they are suffering. If they think they are not responsible for anything, and don't want a store with the responsibilities, then they put themselves into this liability of not being needed.

The grass always seems to be better at the other side except when they are not...

And to the good floaters, I applaude you. You will always be needed and most likely will get your hours if not more, and most likely can get a store if you wanted to.

I don't want to hate on floaters as I have been a floater at one point and so has everyone. It's hard for floaters to appear good because they're walking into a snapshot of a store with notes and problems from the previous shift/staff left to them without proper documentations as to what is going on. I see lazy staff pharmacists all the time and lazy managers too (although those have been forced to step down in my district). If you're a lazy worker, you'll find reasons to be lazy regardless if you're staffed or floating.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't want to hate on floaters as I have been a floater at one point and so has everyone. It's hard for floaters to appear good because they're walking into a snapshot of a store with notes and problems from the previous shift/staff left to them without proper documentations as to what is going on. I see lazy staff pharmacists all the time and lazy managers too (although those have been forced to step down in my district). If you're a lazy worker, you'll find reasons to be lazy regardless if you're staffed or floating.

I have floated at many stores but generally, there is a reason why one wants to be a floater, or forced to float.

I have seen good floaters who call ahead to see who's on schedule, knows the staff well, goes out of the way for customers, and bad floaters who come in, talk on their cell, gets into arguments with customers, and leaves a **** show for the next day...

I too know of lazy rph and PM back then but there are not many of those left now or probably in the process of being managed out... But then it depends on the sup.

Hahahahaha

slave

i've been at this store for 3 years. all 3 pharmacy managers i came across are super lazy, and always come in late. now i have to put up with someone who's not only "always" late, but also with a bad attitude. they are all indians. i know of good indian pharmacists, but somehow i end up with the low lifes.