CVS hiring method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmgrad_16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a new graduate and I had a question on CVS hiring methodology. I recently had an interview with CVS for a Grad Intern Pharmacist position in the Houston, TX area. I believe the interview went well. But, I got a rejection letter from them. My classmate who also had the same interview with them, got the job offer. They are also sponsoring for his work permit as he was on student visa during his pharmacy school. Now, did he get the job because they know that he cannot leave CVS for at least six years (maximum limit for H1b visa)?
btw: I am a US Citizen.
Appreciate your response.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think so.
Sponsoring for working permit means more money & paperwork for company. Most companies prefers US citizen because of that.
And I don't think CVS would really mind whether employee leaves or not because there are tons of new grads every year.

He was just better candidate, I guess.

Hope you can find a job too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You know the job market is getting saturated when cvs starts rejecting candidates. Sorry about your luck. Try applying again at a later date.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone said here...maybe you flunked that interview. I had interviews where I thought I totally sucked and I ended up getting the offers...there were a couple where I thought I shined but got beaten out by someone. CVS would not invest money sponsoring someone unless they really liked that person. You can rationalize it however you want, but I feel he was the better candidate. CVS "ain't" going to waste money just because of 1 employee turning over...they have tons of turnover....they're not rushing out to sponsor visas.

I dont think so.
Sponsoring for working permit means more money & paperwork for company. Most companies prefers US citizen because of that.
And I don't think CVS wouldn't really mind whether employee leaves or not because there are tons of new grads every year.

He was just better candidate, I guess.

Hope you can find a job too.

I would think the expenses on visa are priced into salary/raises somehow. They will get their money back and they will get an employee who will be there until he gets his green card.

There are only so many positions available... my district only hired 10 grad interns two years ago.

Hi everyone,

I am a new graduate and I had a question on CVS hiring methodology. I recently had an interview with CVS for a Grad Intern Pharmacist position in the Houston, TX area. I believe the interview went well. But, I got a rejection letter from them. My classmate who also had the same interview with them, got the job offer. They are also sponsoring for his work permit as he was on student visa during his pharmacy school. Now, did he get the job because they know that he cannot leave CVS for at least six years (maximum limit for H1b visa)?
btw: I am a US Citizen.
Appreciate your response.

Thanks!!

You never really know what all happens between the interview and the selection process. I interviewed with CVS in the fall on campus which went great (guy was talking about WHEN I get an offer), then did a phone and in person with the district guy that went well and said I would hear back within a week and discussed what the offer would look like.

3 weeks go by...no call or email back when I messaged two weeks after the interview. I get a stock rejection email in reply to my email 10 days later. 2-3 months of saying to expect an offer, then a stock rejection. I was pretty upset. Everyone says CVS hires anyone with a pulse/I have always been a good interview (never been turned down from a school or job if interviewed), etc. Rejection is a crap feeling, but you just have to move forward.

I apparently wasn't good enough to float CVS, but I got an offer a few weeks after that rejection to be a PIC at a smaller grocery chain whose rep is that they're extremely selective/almost impossible to get hired right out of school if you didn't intern there, and for much more money.

It is just that one interviewer's opinion/particular circumstances that led to your rejection. Just try to reflect upon if there's anything to improve on interview wise and try again.

Reactions: 2 users
You never really know what all happens between the interview and the selection process. I interviewed with CVS in the fall on campus which went great (guy was talking about WHEN I get an offer), then did a phone and in person with the district guy that went well and said I would hear back within a week and discussed what the offer would look like.

3 weeks go by...no call or email back when I messaged two weeks after the interview. I get a stock rejection email in reply to my email 10 days later. 2-3 months of saying to expect an offer, then a stock rejection. I was pretty upset. Everyone says CVS hires anyone with a pulse/I have always been a good interview (never been turned down from a school or job if interviewed), etc. Rejection is a crap feeling, but you just have to move forward.

I apparently wasn't good enough to float CVS, but I got an offer a few weeks after that rejection to be a PIC at a smaller grocery chain whose rep is that they're extremely selective/almost impossible to get hired right out of school if you didn't intern there, and for much more money.

It is just that one interviewer's opinion/particular circumstances that led to your rejection. Just try to reflect upon if there's anything to improve on interview wise and try again.
I interviewed for Supervisor position at CVS nearly 2 weeks ago. I was verbally offered the job and told to expect an email w/ offer. Nothing so far. I am interviewing with other companies meanwhile, but totally confused as to what happened???

Last edited:
it's usually the interview where I thought was total sht and they come back the next few days with an offer..and then the ones where I thought I had such good chemistry and conversation flowed really well...nothing. Usually when you think it's a tough interview and thought it went bad, they were grilling you and thought you excelled or managed it well.