CVS or Walgreens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiu100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I got offers from CVS and Walgreen in the northan CA area, not sure which one to go with for a long term career development. Any suggestion? Their pay is about the same so money is not the issue, health insurance I got from my husband, zero premium, so that will not be an issue either. Which company treats their pharmacists more professionally?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I got offers from CVS and Walgreen in the northan CA area, not sure which one to go with for a long term career development. Any suggestion? Their pay is about the same so money is not the issue, health insurance I got from my husband, zero premium, so that will not be an issue either. Which company treats their pharmacists more professionally?

My friends who work at Wags seem more content than those who work at CVS. I think they get a bit more paid time off too. They both hate it though. So go to whichever has a better location.

Make sure you find out what your base hours are. Those offer letters often give you a salary based on 40 hours but most new grads only get 30 or so hours and make less than expected.

Reactions: 1 user
Why don't you work at both. Couple of my buddies do 7 on and 7 off at both chains. It just means you will be working every day at 12 hour shifts. 120k +120k = 240k. Plus with all the work your doing, you have no time to spend your money, so you will save more. Also by working at both places you can decide which is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you work at both. Couple of my buddies do 7 on and 7 off at both chains. It just means you will be working every day at 12 hour shifts. 120k +120k = 240k. Plus with all the work your doing, you have no time to spend your money, so you will save more. Also by working at both places you can decide which is better.

Um, because most employers have a non-compete clause where working at a competitor is grounds for immediate termination. And you really have more than 1 friend working 7 days a week, every single week? Talk about burnout...

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if trolls (OP and MrBonita)...

One difference is that Walgreens is set up so you have some privacy while working because of the way the pharmacy is usually built

CVS is more open and people can watch you while you are filling and working

So if you want people looking at you while you work then go for CVS ... and believe me, they will stare you down impatiently while you work

Walgreens pays for RxPrep course and book, CVS gives you a discount.

How about neither if you can possibly help it?

Whichever pharmacy supervisor is better. That is the key to your experience. My boss rocks and Mikey can back me up. The next district over, the guy is a complete and total jerk.....

Whichever pharmacy supervisor is better. That is the key to your experience. My boss rocks and Mikey can back me up. The next district over, the guy is a complete and total jerk.....

100% agree with this.

I agree. I don't know if my experience is typical though but I've had four pharmacy supervisors none of which lasted more than 1.5 years. And we are a good district....they weren't demoted. It's tough making a decision on your great supervisor and then constantly losing them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe CVS guarantees 30 hours, but Walgreens guarantees nothing. Walgreens hires only as floaters and the person I spoke to told me as long as you're willing to commute, they can get you full time hours... It's possible it's different in the district you were hired in though. I would clarify if you're not sure.

Every time I see some one ask cvs or Walgreens, it reminds of movies where they ask if you would rather be shot in the head or chest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app