CVS Pharm Tech Trainee vs Pharm Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm5617

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know the difference between the Pharmacy Technician Trainee and Pharmacy Technician positions at CVS and if there are different requirements for these positions?

I recently graduated undergrad and decided to work in a pharmacy to gain some experience before applying to pharmacy school. I had no prior pharmacy experience when I was hired to work at CVS as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee about a year ago. Earlier this year, I took the PTCB exam and was certified hoping that it would come with a pay raise. However, I was told that there is no pay raise associated with the certification.

However my friend, who has no pharmacy experience and is not PTCB certified, was hired as a Pharmacy Technician and her hourly pay rate is higher than mine. She applied for a Pharmacy Tech Trainee position but was hired as a Pharm Tech. Is this something that's up to the pharmacy manager? I don't understand how she was hired as a Pharm Tech and is being paid more even though I'm certified and have pharmacy experience now...

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your job title will typically be listed as "Pharmacy Tech Trainee" until you have completed the CVS training process.

Does anybody know the difference between the Pharmacy Technician Trainee and Pharmacy Technician positions at CVS and if there are different requirements for these positions?

I recently graduated undergrad and decided to work in a pharmacy to gain some experience before applying to pharmacy school. I had no prior pharmacy experience when I was hired to work at CVS as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee about a year ago. Earlier this year, I took the PTCB exam and was certified hoping that it would come with a pay raise. However, I was told that there is no pay raise associated with the certification.

However my friend, who has no pharmacy experience and is not PTCB certified, was hired as a Pharmacy Technician and her hourly pay rate is higher than mine. She applied for a Pharmacy Tech Trainee position but was hired as a Pharm Tech. Is this something that's up to the pharmacy manager? I don't understand how she was hired as a Pharm Tech and is being paid more even though I'm certified and have pharmacy experience now...

Thanks for your help!
Ask when you will finish training!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already finished the training and have been promoted to Pharmacy Technician but didn't receive a pay raise. My friend hasn't even begun training but she's already a Pharmacy Technician with a higher pay rate... Is this something I should ask the pharmacy manager about or is that unprofessional?

Thanks again for any help!

Last edited:
I've already finished the training and have been promoted to Pharmacy Technician but didn't receive a pay raise. My friend hasn't even begun training but she's already a Pharmacy Technician with a higher pay rate... Is this something I should ask the pharmacy manager about or is that unprofessional?

Thanks again for any help!
Hey pharm5617,
Once you complete training, your pharmacy manager should promote you from trainee to technician which will show up on "my cvs hr". This generally comes with a pay raise but I assume that varies by store. In order to graduate from trainee, you must complete all the modules and all the on the job training as well as have your license. Once you have that, you contact your pharm manager and he/she will have to pass it through the district manager. The process takes roughly two weeks (going based off my experience). As for your friend, each store pays different amount for technicians. If your friend is in the same store with a different pay rate, technically you aren't supposed to know so I wouldn't mention it to your pharmacy manager but that's your choice. When I was hired they told me the trainee pay rate and the pay rate once I finished my modules etc. so I was aware of the pay rate increase prior to accepting the job. If you have any questions feel free to post/PM.

Asking about your pay is never unprofessional

Don't be a pushover and just ask why

For Walgreens, you are paid full tech pay while in training for 2 weeks.

What a crap company CVS is

Yea, every CVS is different. I got a 10 cent raise when I went from trainee to tech. It isn't a surprise they're not paying more, they just don't pay a lot for their techs. I think we get a yearly raise and another way you can get about a dollar raise is if you take the national exam AND become a lead tech.