CVS pharmacy service associate age?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoosiers15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 17 and in high school, and I just want to know how old you have to be to become a PSA.

Members don't see this ad.

in MI its 18 but i know a girl who's dad is a pharmacist and she started working there when she was 16

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Indiana, if that helps at all. I'm pretty excited about the idea of actually working in a pharmac, so if anybody else has some info that would be great

The requirements for being a pharmacy technician vary from state to state. In Texas, you need to have a GED or have graduated from high school to be a technician. I don't think there's a legal age requirement in Texas. You may be able to work as a technician trainee (basically a technician without certification) without a GED or high school diploma, so you might be able to get an earlier start there.

Of course, maybe things are different in Indiana and none of this matters.

--Garfield3d

i am guessing 18 with a high school diploma.

I live in Indiana, if that helps at all. I'm pretty excited about the idea of actually working in a pharmac, so if anybody else has some info that would be great

To be a pharmacy tech in Indiana you have to be 18. However, most of the time, to be a clerk, which means you just ring the registers, dust shelves, etc. but do not actually fill prescriptions you need to be just of legal working age, which I believe is 15 in all of US (though state restrictions are possible, I suppose, but 17 should be safe). There are some states that restrict access inside the pharmacy proper for anyone under 18 or without GED, so your best bet would be to call the closest CVS and ask them. :)

Well I just got off the phone with CVS and they said they don't hire anyone under 18 for the pharmacy. So does anyone have any suggestions for a pharmacy related job for a 17 year old? I'm pretty bummed out right now, I thought this was gonna be a great opportunity. Thanks for the help

Well I just got off the phone with CVS and they said they don't hire anyone under 18 for the pharmacy. So does anyone have any suggestions for a pharmacy related job for a 17 year old? I'm pretty bummed out right now, I thought this was gonna be a great opportunity. Thanks for the help
I would try the local hospitals and see if you can volunteer in the pharmacy as a "pharmacy assistant." You don't need to be a certified pharmacy technician to be just a pharmacy assistant. Unfortunately, depending on how much help the hospital needs, you may just end up doing repetitious and mundane work like opening boxes for 4 hours.

--Garfield3d

Why not start working in a CVS store and then transfer into a pharmacy role when you turn 18? It's not that far off. In Indiana nobody under 18 would be hired for any job that will let you see and experience anything pharmacy related. Do you really want to be stocking shelves all day, or something like that? Especially for free? I would rather be paid for work unless I am doing it for pure pleasure, like volunteering at a cat shelter or Red Cross blood drives.

Are you looking for admission into a 0-6 program, or why such a hurry?

yeah, I'm going to apply to butler, but I'm afraid that my ~3.72 gpa and 1920 sat won't get me in unless I have some pharmacy experience