CVS vs. Walgreens as a new pharmacist (Class of 2020)? Walgreens is offering 46$/hr as a floater, and CVS is offering 53$/hr as a staff pharmacist.

tuf06150

5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2015
Status
  1. Pharmacist
I heard CVS would help pharmacists to pay back loans. Do you guys know anything about it?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

Marzapan

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
  2. Pharmacist
I heard CVS would help pharmacists to pay back loans. Do you guys know anything about it?
Yeah they help you pay off your loans by giving you an allowance of $30/hr for the otherwise volunteer pharmacist work you'd be doing for them. The other term for this is called "giving you a paycheck."

Reactions: 3 users

FoodstampPharmacist

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 5, 2020
Status
  1. Pharmacist
Holy crap how is it only $46/hr???

Anything above 15 USD / hour is good. I'm happy that wages are still in the 40's giving the massive saturation the industry is seeing with ~15,000 new grads a year. Hopefully it won't dip into the 30's USD / hour until 2021 at the earliest.

DH1987

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2011
Status
  1. Pharmacist
@FoodstampPharmacist 's benchmark is a $15/hr Walmart shelf stocker...

I literally used to be a shelf stocker at Wal-Mart. I would come into work, go right into the stock rooms, take a cart full of items and start putting it away. I would stop by the breakroom once in a while and slam down some coffee at my discretion. Nobody ever gave me any crap, not my boss, coworkers, or customers.

It was arguably the best job I ever had.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

sozetone

2+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2016
Status
  1. Pharmacist
Meawhile Kaiser pharmacists being paid $80/hr with mandatory annual raises that kinda cover cost of living increases

Also CVS can screw you over and put on on a LOLblacklist that somehow other employers actually look up? SDN thread "Pharmacist blacklisted on global database Esteem"

dude, that guy had serious mental problems, there is no such database.

Reactions: 1 user

sozetone

2+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2016
Status
  1. Pharmacist
Welcome back buddy! You still at Wally World?
LOL, hey man nah i been busy moving back home, was AFK for a bit packing and living life. Back home , looking around, but in no rush after i saw what the offers are like out there. No more moving across country or state for retail . The gamble is too high. We have a nice cushion and are happy to be taking a break from retail for a while, prob through he holidays.

M0df

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2006
Status
I would go with CVS. The only plus with Walgreens seems to be a lot of open shifts because of all the people they got rid of.

So how do you find their computer system? I imagine with all the flu shots, learning cvs workflow and software is actually harder.

Feb 10, 2020
Status
  1. Pharmacy Student
They're all ****ty.
Lol yep but I am just mad how I wasn’t given other chance like many of my classmates after failing their law exam on first attempt. And I know retail sucks but as a new graduate I don’t have much options. So I will take however many hours I get at first while I look for something better.

Jul 14, 2018
Status
  1. Pharmacist
If you have to make a thread and ask this question with those details, you need psych help. CVS is offering you $7/hr more plus you don't have to be a floater and drive to random cities. You'd really stay with a pharmacy for a lot less money and be a floater because you know their "computer system?" LOL, And what state and area is offering only $46/hr? That's really sad.

Nov 30, 2020
Status
  1. Pharmacist
I am currently a grad intern at Walgreens. Walgreens is offering 46$/hr as a floater, and CVS is offering 53$/hr as a staff pharmacist. I know the computer system at Walgreens, and I have to learn everything if I leave Walgreens and join CVS. Which one should I pick?
Did you not get any other offers? I feel like this would be choosing between getting hit by an 18 wheeler or run over by an elephant...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads