CVS/Walgreens Pharmacy Tech Training Program, Confused Help Please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BH101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been googling on this forums and on CVS and Walgreens website and there are no clear answer. My question is that if I apply for a pharmacy tech job at CVS or Walgreens will they train me in preparation for the PCTB test? Or do I need to have a tech license in order to get a tech job and that their training program is more hand on so that I can get the experience I need to be successful at my job.

Please help me on this, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

In just jot hired at a CVS as a pharm tech with no certification or experience. The training consists of a bunch of HIPPA (privacy policies) and stuff on restricted products (PSE/E) which is only a part of the training due to some past violations and agreements apparently. After that you will also take online classes introducing you to the different pharmacy stations (drop-off, pick-up, drive through, production) and attend 2 "classes" which they repeat the same crap over again that was in the training video. Finally you will be able to do the on the job training in which you watch a guy do half of a transaction and walk away and then you training is complete and you are on your own. The videos cover the basics but don't cover the random problems that every third customer has. Basically you learn the bare bones from 3 hours worth of training videos (which 50% of the videos focus on customer service and not the actual work) and you learn the rest by asking constant questions for the next 6 months.

As far as learning anything about drugs absolutely nothing was included in the training other than the fact that PSE/E is used to make meth and c2's like oxy have to be handled by the pharmacist

Within your first year of working you have to pass some kind of state exam due to an Emily law. They offer another wonderful online training class for this. As far as the PCTB exam absolutely nothing has been mentioned. In my state it is not required which might be why.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
In just jot hired at a CVS as a pharm tech with no certification or experience. The training consists of a bunch of HIPPA (privacy policies) and stuff on restricted products (PSE/E) which is only a part of the training due to some past violations and agreements apparently. After that you will also take online classes introducing you to the different pharmacy stations (drop-off, pick-up, drive through, production) and attend 2 "classes" which they repeat the same crap over again that was in the training video. Finally you will be able to do the on the job training in which you watch a guy do half of a transaction and walk away and then you training is complete and you are on your own. The videos cover the basics but don't cover the random problems that every third customer has. Basically you learn the bare bones from 3 hours worth of training videos (which 50% of the videos focus on customer service and not the actual work) and you learn the rest by asking constant questions for the next 6 months.

As far as learning anything about drugs absolutely nothing was included in the training other than the fact that PSE/E is used to make meth and c2's like oxy have to be handled by the pharmacist

Within your first year of working you have to pass some kind of state exam due to an Emily law. They offer another wonderful online training class for this. As far as the PCTB exam absolutely nothing has been mentioned. In my state it is not required which might be why.

I see it could be your state, in Arizona you need to take the PCTB exam. So I am guessing for me, it would be apply at CVS/Walgreens, do the online classes, attend the classes in person, do job training for the next 6 months or so, then take the PCTB exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is required in your state, I'm assuming that they will offer some kind of preparation within their online training system and perhaps set you up to take the exam, but I really am not sure. I'm sure upon hire they will tell you or you can ask them, or someone else can answer this. If all else fails I'm sure you can buy a study guide and just take the exam on your own.

My guess is that if the state requires it and they don't mention it as a qualification for hire then they will work something out

Reactions: 1 user
If it is required in your state, I'm assuming that they will offer some kind of preparation within their online training system and perhaps set you up to take the exam, but I really am not sure. I'm sure upon hire they will tell you or you can ask them, or someone else can answer this. If all else fails I'm sure you can buy a study guide and just take the exam on your own.

My guess is that if the state requires it and they don't mention it as a qualification for hire then they will work something out
Thanks

I have been googling on this forums and on CVS and Walgreens website and there are no clear answer. My question is that if I apply for a pharmacy tech job at CVS or Walgreens will they train me in preparation for the PCTB test? Or do I need to have a tech license in order to get a tech job and that their training program is more hand on so that I can get the experience I need to be successful at my job.

Please help me on this, thank you!

I live in PA and work at cvs. I'm a PTCB certified, but cvs did nothing in regards to preparing me for it. I actually took it before i was hired at cvs, but no, they don't train you for the exam itself. I think at most, they'll pay for the exam, but it's cvs so there's probably terms you must meet in order for that to happen.

Hmmmm.....Please which state are you in? No certification/experience and you got hired as a pharm tech? Tell me, I need to move down there :)

I worked at a tech during undergrad. Got hired by Kroger with zero experience. However my sister was a pharmacy manager at another store and helped me get the job. At that time MO just required a state license. When I moved to NM after graduation I had to get certified. The test is so easy. I bought a test prep book and read through it once. The pharmacist I worked with prefer to train their own techs instead of the ones who did the program. I thought it was pretty easy to pick up. The knowledge I gained has helped me in y medical career for sure.

I have a question any help is greatly appreciated!! Ive been with cvs as a pharmacy tech trainee for a little bit and the most confusing thing to me is drop off when i search the bin and pcn so many insurance plans have the same name ive no idea what to pick!!! The rejection messages or how to override them! Or how to do a partial if its on QI??

^ I always choose the insurance that has the same PCN, BIN, and name on the card. Inputting insurance is kind of a trial and error process. If you need to have membership information you can always call the number on the back of the card or it should be listed in QT. There are tricks to override some rejection messages if you go to A --> T1 (or T2 in some places). You may have to call the insurance company to get specific codes to override stuff on your end.

To do a partial in QI you have to click on the person. I think it says it on the bottom of the page where you can partial. I want to say you press a, but I don't remember the exact key to press since I am not at work at the moment to see :).

Hopefully that helped you a bit. It takes time and practice. I have been a CVS pharmacy technician for 3 years now :)

Thanks for your help!:) i just get so nervous and have no idea what some rejections are in qt im not a fast typerbyet either i think working weekends when its not as busy helps me get faster too. And when i input insurance or coupons for drugs so many options pop up with that match the pcn sometimes i get stuck i wish there was a way to learn it like all the other stations but i underarand its dynamic insurance is always changing! Thqnks f
or the help again!:)

Last edited: