Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril-Mylan) Expiration Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maximum404

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question about expiration dates and medications. I know that for the most part the effectiveness will decrease and the side effects become more unreliable. If the medication was stored in near-perfect conditions (maybe slight variation in humidity), how safe would it be to take Cyclobenzaprine 10mg a few weeks after its "discard by" date?
 
Quick question about expiration dates and medications. I know that for the most part the effectiveness will decrease and the side effects become more unreliable. If the medication was stored in near-perfect conditions (maybe slight variation in humidity), how safe would it be to take Cyclobenzaprine 10mg a few weeks after its "discard by" date?

Is this for you or for a patient? Nevermind, the answer is the same. It's not recommended to take expired medication. I'm pretty sure you could have gotten that answer by doing a search too.
 
You would be surprised (at least I was) at the number of people, pharmacists included, that have said "its fine" to ingesting expired medication. Searches yielded poor information. Thank you for your response though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed. I was more interested in the toxicity after expiration. I have found generic information about drug effectiveness, but was curious about Cyclobenzaprene specifically. I do not have access to any drug info databases that have that data, or I am looking in the wrong places.

Basically I get different drug research assignments from the Pharmacist I work with that he thinks will be of use somehow later on. If you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
 
I'd probably just assume a degraded concentration of drug than as stated at shelf-life. You could always look up the drug stability and do the math depending on days past expiry and whatnot, I guess.