D in upper level science course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beauchemin13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello pre-vets, I have a question regarding vet school for one of my friends... She is in the 2017 application cycle and currently has 3 interviews scheduled in January, and she recently got a D in a upper level science course, neuroanatomy. Before this semester she had a 3.7, and she got a 3.0 this semester. How will this effect her chances for vet school, and do you think it will be brought up in interview? She is freaking out, any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello pre-vets, I have a question regarding vet school for one of my friends... She is in the 2017 application cycle and currently has 3 interviews scheduled in January, and she recently got a D in a upper level science course, neuroanatomy. Before this semester she had a 3.7, and she got a 3.0 this semester. How will this effect her chances for vet school, and do you think it will be brought up in interview? She is freaking out, any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

For most schools, it probably won't matter. Most of them don't 'update' the GPA beyond what was included on the application; so the 3.7 she submitted is what most of them will go with as far as the application process goes. And once you're in, you're in, regardless of what happened to your GPA in that last semester while you were applying.

The biggest consideration is that if that class were a pre-requisite for a vet school to which she were applying, she would have to successfully complete it with a better grade prior to matriculation. I don't know if any vet schools require neuroanatomy (I doubt it, but maybe she's using it to cover for one or another pre-req.....).

Reactions: 1 users
For most schools, it probably won't matter. Most of them don't 'update' the GPA beyond what was included on the application; so the 3.7 she submitted is what most of them will go with as far as the application process goes. And once you're in, you're in, regardless of what happened to your GPA in that last semester while you were applying.

The biggest consideration is that if that class were a pre-requisite for a vet school to which she were applying, she would have to successfully complete it with a better grade prior to matriculation. I don't know if any vet schools require neuroanatomy (I doubt it, but maybe she's using it to cover for one or another pre-req.....).

Also, some schools do require a certain number of upper levels past the traditional pre-reqs that neuroanatomy could count as. She would have to find another upper level in the spring to cover that requirement.

but yes, other than that it's a non issue as long as the required courses are okay and her GPA doesn't fall below any required ranges.

Reactions: 1 users