D.O. applying for Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starrdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just had a few questions I was hoping you all could help me out with. First question is what have you heard about the chances for a D.O. matching rad/onc? I know the field is soley research driven, and coming from a D.O. school I don't have much research under my belt. I do have a competitive USMLE board score, and 2 letters of rec from Rad Onc attendings (one an assistant program director).

Also this is a more elementary question, but could really use some clarification. Do you rank Rad Onc totally separate from the other IM programs I am applying for? How does that work when you are applying for two separate things? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This topic is brought up several times a year. We should probably sticky a DOs and RadOnc thread. Bottom line: it can be done, it has been done before, each year a few DOs match, but the odds are stacked against you. Good luck.

Here is a recent thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=270645

As to your other questions:

You have a single rank list on which to rank all of your choices regardless of speciality. It can go like this example:

a) RadOnc @ school A
b) IM @ school B
c) RadOnc @ school C
d) RadOnc @ school D
e) IM @ school E . . . etc.

Basically you apply to both, recieve interviews separately and try to schedule them both. Sometimes schools will offer you confilicting interview dates -- only you can decide which program you would prefer to interview at. Programs do not directly know if you are applying to multiple specialities, but they may ask. It's up to you to answer honestly.

it can and has been done. if you surf the resident pages at some of the top institutions, you will find CVs of DOs.

i thought metastatic cancer was a contraindication to osteopathic manipulations?! :/

i agree...sticky the DO/IMG/canadian/ what-are-my-chances threads!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot Gfunk for taking time to answer me. That clears things up for me. :)

Hey starrdoc, I think I know you from Moffitt...

just fyi: metastatic cancer is a C/I to manipulation which would enhance lymphatics; but I think some techniques (strain/counterstrain) wouldn't be harmful.

just fyi: metastatic cancer is a C/I to manipulation which would enhance lymphatics; but I think some techniques (strain/counterstrain) wouldn't be harmful.

Wouldn't you be concerned about increased risk of fracture due to bony metastatic disease? I must admit that I have no idea what strain/counterstrain involve, but to the uninitiated it sounds like it could be risky in this situation.

I agree that I had the same initial reaction when I was shadowing a rad onc doc and heard a patient talk about her back pain and that she had recently visited a chiro. Strain/Counterstrain is an indirect technique involving positional release (meaning that the body is placed in a position of ease and held for 90 seconds and that helps with point tenderness). I really wouldn't suspect that it would increase risk of fracture at all since very little pressure is applied. However, I am no expert...

http://www.studentdoctor.net/blogs/omtguru/2006/12/osteopathic-manual-medicine-technique.html

Wouldn't you be concerned about increased risk of fracture due to bony metastatic disease? I must admit that I have no idea what strain/counterstrain involve, but to the uninitiated it sounds like it could be risky in this situation.

The docs at our school do all the manipulation techniques on those with metastatic disease because there's really very little risk. They inform the patient of the risk and leave it up to them.

are there any randomized trials showing the clinical benefit or improvement in QOL with these manipulation techniques?

are there any randomized trials showing the clinical benefit or improvement in QOL with these manipulation techniques?

interesting information, but still no RCT in cancer patients...ill do a pubmed search and see what i can find.

there are some. While research is important i wouldnt say its "solely" resarch driven. Do try to get some if you can, but not everyone does.

Hey everyone, I just had a few questions I was hoping you all could help me out with. First question is what have you heard about the chances for a D.O. matching rad/onc? I know the field is soley research driven, and coming from a D.O. school I don't have much research under my belt. I do have a competitive USMLE board score, and 2 letters of rec from Rad Onc attendings (one an assistant program director).

Also this is a more elementary question, but could really use some clarification. Do you rank Rad Onc totally separate from the other IM programs I am applying for? How does that work when you are applying for two separate things? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks!