D.O.-friendly NJ/NYC programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyGrey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not absolutely sure if I'm applying to psych yet, but if do, do I have to aim lower because I'm a DO?

I have good grades and good Step 1 scores (COMLEX 674/94 and USMLE 254/99), which I think would make me very competitive in psych if I were graduating from an MD school. I'm going to take Step 2 in both as well. I want to stay in the NYC/northern NJ area, but I worry that the best residencies will ignore me.

I've tried checking out lists of current residents at some of the NYC programs and haven't found any DOs. Maybe they just aren't applying?

Members don't see this ad.

UMDNJ has accepted DOs in the past. We currently have 2 in the Cooper program. Don't know about the other UMDNJ branches except UMDNJ Stratford is run by DOs.

The DO Match thread in the osteo forum had a match at NYU and one at St.Vincent's. I didn't click on all of the match lists, so there may be more.

Members don't see this ad :)
With those scores you really stand to do some trend setting. PCOM put a D.O. in Harvard for Neuropsych last year and has put people in Beth Israel, Long Island Jewish, Brown, and Hopkins in other more competitive fields (anesthesia, neuro, peds). Places will take DO's, especially once we get the interview... but that's the hard part. However with your scores when X allopathic program uses the search engine to narrow down their applicants, your USMLE score will still keep you in the running.

Frankly you'll have your pick of Jersey schools. As for New York, I'd pick your top two and rotate there somewhere between September and December. That virtually guarantees you an interview and helps the app a ton. That said, Philly is a great example for how your plight will work in New York-- as long as you aren't socially inept those board scores would get you interviews in all of the programs here... except PENN, they just do not interview DO's. So be prepared to deal with that maybe at places like Columbia.

I've heard that even in their job listings, Penn asks for "qualified MD applicants" rather than the usual, "qualified MD/DO applicants."

IMHO, you'll get a better clinical experience at Jefferson, Temple or Einstein in Philly rather then at Penn. If you want the big ("elitist") name for purposes of an academic career, then Penn might be your ticket. Then again, you can move on to an academic career from anywhere.

Not absolutely sure if I'm applying to psych yet, but if do, do I have to aim lower because I'm a DO?

I have good grades and good Step 1 scores (COMLEX 674/94 and USMLE 254/99), which I think would make me very competitive in psych if I were graduating from an MD school. I'm going to take Step 2 in both as well. I want to stay in the NYC/northern NJ area, but I worry that the best residencies will ignore me.

I've tried checking out lists of current residents at some of the NYC programs and haven't found any DOs. Maybe they just aren't applying?

Hold on, hold on -- we're talking about PSYCHIATRY here, right? Where the average step 1 score is ~210...

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

With a 254/99 (congrats, btw) you will be CANCELLING interviews in Psych. Let's keep things in perspective here, your Step 1 score is VERY strong even for the most competitive fields in medicine (Derm, Plastics, Rads, Ophtho, ENT, etc). You'd be a shoe-in for Psych.

I'm not a Psych applicant but I do know that personality (and preferrably AMG status) goes a long way. Top that with a 254 and you'll have no problems.

And if Penn doesn't interview you, then go to Haavard, Hopkins, Columbia, etc.

G'luck!

Thanks for all the encouragement. :) I have apps in for some audition rotations in NYC. Now I just have to decide if this is what I really want... there are still some other contenders, but psych is probably my likeliest. Much as I may find other stuff fun, and worry that I'll miss "doing" things, if I'm honest with myself I know I'm better working with my head than with my hands.

Hold on, hold on -- we're talking about PSYCHIATRY here, right? Where the average step 1 score is ~210...

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

With a 254/99 (congrats, btw) you will be CANCELLING interviews in Psych. Let's keep things in perspective here, your Step 1 score is VERY strong even for the most competitive fields in medicine (Derm, Plastics, Rads, Ophtho, ENT, etc). You'd be a shoe-in for Psych.

I'm not a Psych applicant but I do know that personality (and preferrably AMG status) goes a long way. Top that with a 254 and you'll have no problems.

And if Penn doesn't interview you, then go to Haavard, Hopkins, Columbia, etc.

G'luck!

Penn and Columbia won't get to your Step 1 254, since you're a D.O.- their loss....SAIB is right....you'll get interviews at Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, NYU and all the other more enlightened programs...

except PENN, they just do not interview DO's. So be prepared to deal with that maybe at places like Columbia.

I'm curious, are there other programs that just won't give interviews to DO's? I'm hoping that most psych programs are pretty DO friendly, especially if you take USMLE step I. :scared: