D.O. friendly programs in Chicago or TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunningBird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a 3rd year Osteopathic med student interested in psych. anyone know which programs are D.O. friendly in Phoenix, Atlanta, Chicago and TX. I am especially interested in UIC, Rush, Advocate Lutheran, Baylor and UTSW. I have not taken my USMLEs only COMLEX.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for the Chicago programs. I don't think being a DO would bar you from any of the Chicago area programs but I would highly reccommend taking USMLEs (at least step 1) before your interviews. Even if you didn't I think you would still be considered but you would probably be less competitive. Hope this helps.

Thanks psychalicious,
I was debating whether or not to take USMLE Step I. I am going to take COMLEX II in July and was not sure if there was any overlap in studying for both. I was just hoping I could still be competitive without USMLE's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both programs in Phoenix accept DO students for rotations and have DOs as residents.

I would definatly take USMLE, as my understanding is that its required if you want to do allopathic Residency progams. All of my friends who are D.O's took the USMLE and it was their belief that it made them more competative candidates.
As for TX, I know that UT San Antonio is DO friendly for Psych. It is a very good benign program with good balance of behavior/biological emphasis with good reputation.

I also interviewed at UT Houston. PM me if you have furthur Q's.

FYI- If you are interested in MN, MAYO was very DO friendly as well.

Tiggernater

In Chicago, any of the Evanston Northwestern Healthcare hospitals are very DO friendly...there's a huge family practice at Glenbrook Hospital that's pretty much all DO residents every year. It's not psych, but I'm sure psych's equally as friendly.

Your understanding is wrong. DOs are not required to sit for the USMLE to be in an ACGME residency.

I would definatly take USMLE, as my understanding is that its required if you want to do allopathic Residency progams. All of my friends who are D.O's took the USMLE and it was their belief that it made them more competative candidates.
As for TX, I know that UT San Antonio is DO friendly for Psych. It is a very good benign program with good balance of behavior/biological emphasis with good reputation.

I also interviewed at UT Houston. PM me if you have furthur Q's.

FYI- If you are interested in MN, MAYO was very DO friendly as well.

Tiggernater

I am a D.O. who interviewed at UIC, Lutheran General and U of Chicago. Didn't take the USMLE and recieved 2 ranked to match calls and had a very positive experience at the interview for the other program. I did better than average on the comlex, but not amazingly better or anything. Whatever it's worth that was my experience.