D.O. in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eppiesquiggles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I hope you don't mind my posting this here, I just figured I'd get a better idea from the ones with experience...I am currently in an osteopathic med school, and have great interest in emergency med. Could any of you DOs in the EM world tell me a little about how it was applying to the osteopathic vs allopathic residency programs? Would you say there is a barrier at all for DOs seeking a position in an allopathic program? I am looking to stay as close as possible to Texas, are there specific residency programs in the region that are DO friendly?
Thanks for taking the time to read and/or answer!

Members don't see this ad.

eppiesquiggles said:
Hello all!
I hope you don't mind my posting this here, I just figured I'd get a better idea from the ones with experience...I am currently in an osteopathic med school, and have great interest in emergency med. Could any of you DOs in the EM world tell me a little about how it was applying to the osteopathic vs allopathic residency programs? Would you say there is a barrier at all for DOs seeking a position in an allopathic program? I am looking to stay as close as possible to Texas, are there specific residency programs in the region that are DO friendly?

Maricopa County's EM program in Phoenix has a PD who is a DO and I know they are DO friendly. Check out the link below.

http://www.rtis.com/nat/com/mmced/webpage/Program/edprog.htm

eppiesquiggles said:
Hello all!
I can't think of any of the Texas programs that are hostile to DOs, and I know them (and some of their PDs) pretty well. Do a search too. This question has been asked ad nauseaum.

Members don't see this ad :)
eppiesquiggles said:
Hello all!

For Texas, Scott & White has taken the highest percentage of DOs, but all of the residencies have DOs in their programs. All of the EM residencies in Oklahoma are osteopathic only, so consider those as well.

Check out EMRAMATCH.ORG and look at the stats for how many DO's were accepted to the program in the alst 5 years. El Paso and Scott-White I know offer interviews to DO's.

eppiesquiggles said:
Hello all!
There's a lot of good information here on SDN...

also, someone wrote a GREEEEEEEEAT article on DOs in Allopathic Emergency Medicine Residencies (Current Opinions).

Find it here:
http://www.aaemrsa.org/resources/osteopaths/index.php?topic=opinions

Q

Thanks guys, for the info. That was a great article

I know, I realized right as I clicked on "submit reply," was hoping you wouldn't notice... IS the GREATEST article!