Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

D.O. Ortho Candidates

Discussion in 'Orthopaedic Surgery' started by Brett Hart, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Brett Hart

Brett Hart Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For all D.O. ortho candidates...this link is for you! Feedback from the interview process, who is going where, catch up with people you interviewed with....you get the idea.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Brett Hart

Brett Hart Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone know who the four were who were most likely headed to Ingham?

4. Brett Hart

Brett Hart Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone heard back from Riverside?

5. Brett Hart

Brett Hart Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What was the interview at Grandview like? Did you really have to take a written test?

6. bonefixr

bonefixr Member
    5+ Year Member

Glad you created this. I hope that everyone has a fruitful match season. I found this whole process much harder than I expected it to be. I was fortunate to have strong grades and board scores and did not get nearly as many interviews as I thought I might. In fact, the only interviews I had were at places that I rotated.

I guess that makes sense because I would probably do the same in their shoes. I would be much more inclined to take a person who had good scores, had proven he/she could do the job, and was someone I could get along with over another who had great scores but didn't know from Adam.

Is anyone else getting the same vibe from programs? At any rate, I am out anyway because I got selected in the Navy match for ortho this December. I hope to hear good news from everyone else!

By the way, at Kansas City you have to take a written test also. It was pretty simple overall with a few curveballs thrown in to make things interesting.

7. Brett Hart

Brett Hart Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most common x-rays read at Ortho Interviews?

Ankle Fracture- expected to know Lauge-Hansen, and Weber Classification
    Hip Fracture-Expected to know Garden Classification

Other's?

8. Brett Hart

Brett Hart Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is anyone else getting the same vibe from programs? At any rate, I am out anyway because I got selected in the Navy match for ortho this December. I hope to hear good news from everyone else!

I interviewed at a few places where I did not rotate at and it depends on the program. Some places flat out told me that I was not going to be ranked high because I did not rotate with them, which makes me wonder why I was even invited for an interview? Maybe that was just their way of being nice and breaking things gently to me...

Other programs, like Tulsa, for example have about 50% of their residents who did not rotate with them. They tell you this on your interview...

9. Brett Hart

Brett Hart Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually...funny story from my interview at Tulsa. A very formal interview panel with the attending portion of the interview...so of course my dumb ass when asked if I had any children said "None that I know about." To which the PD removed his reading glasses, and said "Did you just say none that you know about?" I said "Yes". He said "hmmm", and that was pretty much the end of the interview.