D.O residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aasif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do D.Os have a harder time than M.Ds getting into residencies
And can a D.O do an M.D residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously? My gosh...do a search. This topic is covered at least 5 times, weekly.
But, to answer you question: DO's have their own residencies that are only open to them at this point. And yes, DO's can do MD residencies, albeit, the competitive specialties are quite hard to get into as a DO. In other words, most DOs going for derm, plastics, ortho, opth, etc. will end up doing AOA residencies, with exceptions here and there.

As for difficulty...it is hard to get into certain residencies as either an MD or DO. Some suggest that DOs have an easier time with competitive spots because of the AOA match, but I don't think there's any evidence that supports that as of yet. If you do well on your boards, rotations and have solid reports, you should be in good shape in either case.

In the future, search for these questions you may have. There is an FAQ that answers most all questions, and even the wikipedia page comparing MD and DO does a great job at answering basic inquiries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Motion to become a mod on the pre-osteo board, so I can roam around and strike my freaking BAN HAMMER at these threads and delete them into the digital abyss.

Motion to become a mod on the pre-osteo board, so I can roam around and strike my freaking BAN HAMMER at these threads and delete them into the digital abyss.

I'll second the motion

Do D.Os have a harder time than M.Ds getting into residencies
And can a D.O do an M.D residency?

There are multiple threads on the topic. Do a search (search bar is on the top right).

Time to bust out the newly acquired SDN artillery:

Hi, welcome to SDN.

f53ygm.png

Regards,
Nicole

Reading is also fun:

706search_dummy.jpg

Time to bust out the newly acquired SDN artillery:

He should invest in "How to Hide Your Glaring Lack of Knowledge About Anything Medicine FOR DUMMIES"

Or "How to Troll Properly FOR DUMMIES"

I definitely just saved those sweet pictures though!