D.O. rotating internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KasaNOVA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please enlighten me all D.O.s out there,.. I am interested in Florida, Michigan, Illinois programs, allopathic..... How can I get around the internship year, and can I even start a residency without it or will they accept me>??

I am from Detroit area and plan to rank Detroit receiving and the like high on my list, and I heard Michigan in the worst for getting around the internship.. ANY AND ALL advice is greatly appreciated....

Members don't see this ad.

KasaNOVA said:
Please enlighten me all D.O.s out there,.. I am interested in Florida, Michigan, Illinois programs, allopathic..... How can I get around the internship year, and can I even start a residency without it or will they accept me>??

I am from Detroit area and plan to rank Detroit receiving and the like high on my list, and I heard Michigan in the worst for getting around the internship.. ANY AND ALL advice is greatly appreciated....

Illinois is not a problem at all. Michigan is a huge problem as you cannot even step foot in an ACGME residency without having done an internship first. They won't even interview you as a med student. Florida..I have no idea. But I would guess it is easy to get around it there because I have lots of friends doing residency there and they went from MS4 straight to internship in an ACGME program.

KasaNOVA said:

FLORIDA: QuinnNSU, the EM forum moderator, did not do an internship in Florida.

MICHIGAN: IMPOSSIBLE

ILLINOIS: EASY (you aren't required to do an internship there anyway, as it is not one of the "5 states.)