D.O.s in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorperez

Jesus was a dissident
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do D.O.s fare in general when trying to match for non-primary care residencies?. Thank you! .

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what specialty your talking about. It seems there are fairly large numbers in PM&R, neuro, Anest, OB/GYN, and EM and less in things like Derm, Opthalmology, Radio and some of the surgical subspecialties. But there are a fair number of osteopathic residency positions in Ortho and Derm if you decide to take that route. So it really depends on what is competitive for your match year. Right now things like Patholgy, Anest, and the like are very NON-competitive and one would have a fairly easy time matching to a place of their choice because so many positions go unfilled each year or filled by FMGs. On the other hand in recent years EM, Ortho and the like have become ultra-competitive with many students not matching each year. My two cents.

I am intereste din plastic and reconstructive surgery .

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by doctorperez:
I am intereste din plastic and reconstructive surgery .

I have been interviewing for both Plastics and Gen Surg residencies. While I have met some DO students at Gen Surg interviews at community hospitals, I have so far seen none at any of the Plastics or Gen Surg university program interviews.
Obviously, this may be due to the applicant pool (DOs not applying to these types of programs) rather than a bias against them in interview selection. I have heard no comments made about them - either favorably or negatively. But just thought you'd like to hear from my experiences.

Yes definitely I would like to know ALL about your experiences about such residencies . From you or anyone else . I know of quite a few D.0.s that are plastic reconstructive surgeons . I am very interested in this specialty . Since it is not a primary care residency I am interested in learning all I can about it so that I can make an informed decision about it .

Probably the best way to learn about Plastics & Recon Surg is to do it, ie, do an elective early in your 4th year.

Given the competitive nature of the field, *most* applicants also apply for Gen Surg, following the traditional, independent model of doing 2-3 years of Plastics after at least 3 years of Gen Surg. If you have a competitive Step 1 score and some good letters, I shouldn't imagine that an osteopathic degree rather than the allopathic version will make a difference. But DO students would be better prepared to comment on that issue than I.

I gather then that you are not a D.O. o r a D.O. student? .

Originally posted by doctorperez:
I gather then that you are not a D.O. o r a D.O. student? .

That is correct - I'm allopathic (but check all the forums because sometimes the topics are relevant to everyone). That is why I stated that while I had seen DO students at community Gen Surg interviews they would be better placed to comment on whether they felt any bias.

Thanks so much!

I get you.

I am going to post the same message in the forum for residencies , hopefully I can get more feedback...and yes hopefully Alceria won't mind!
biggrin.gif
, love you Alceria . Thank you Kimberlycox .